gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs flag performance increase

woe2you

Folks playing other Unity based games have discovered enabling that flag can boost performance by more efficiently using CPU threads. Enabling it in 7DTD's boot.config gives around 20% more FPS on some hardware setups, but fails EAC verification so it's a change TFP would have to make if people want to use it online.

• 10 months later...

I found enabling this setting in the boot.config on the server itself does not mess up EAC. It is just the clients that do. My server has been working a lot better with this setting enabled. Each time you update the game you have to change it back. I noticed at least 10 more FPS on server side and I have EAC enabled.

I tried this on my client system (single player, but system graphics card is so low end I have to play in windowed mode and very low video settings).  

it worked well. For the first time in forever I saw 50-60+ FPS (in a forest, with a small poi nearby).

some info:

- I read the FPS benefit may go away in some situations (large horde, etc). Personally: don’t care as I see the benefit during normal game play more often... however: because FPS gained, I started turning “up” my video settings (because why not?). At some point later in the game my game froze. I run a lot of mods so it’s not vanilla, but it normally doesn’t freeze up.  But I don’t have a lot of data/testing to pin it down, just more of a “hmmmm” because maybe I turned up video settings and the “benefit” conditions hit and it was too much load.  So, my current recommendation: leave other video settings alone that worked before you messed with this setting IF your settings were set very low to begin with to make the game playable.

- if you go into steam game properties and “validate local files”, the boot.config file will be overwritten with defaults, removing this settings change.

Archived