New MacOS (Catalina) + Steam

IronClaw68

When starting to install Catalina on my iMac, got popup that said Steam would not work with new OS.

Posted (WAY incorrectly!) on a thread discussing Duke Note; really sorry about that

Went to Steam page and they say they have a 64-bit version which will allow me to continue to run Steam with new OS. Has anybody else tried it? I've got 5000 hours of 7D2D on iMac, plus who knows how many on PlayStation before that option stalled on us. BUT -- at 75, I'm starting to lose ground on the tech power curve.

Will new Steam download let me play on Catalina? If it doesn't, are there other options? I have a BootCamp partition with some version of Windows (was trying to play Paths of Exile with son; that didn't work out too well), but it's kind of a pain to bounce back and forth on startup. I wouldn't be adverse to buying another copy of 7D2D directly from Pimps, if that's the only fix (but don't I have to go thru Steam to get on this Forum?).

A18 is that good!! Thanks for the efforts, Pimps. Hope I can continue to get my lunch eaten by the Zs on a semi-regular basis. (Being retired is good; 6-8 hours/day of playtime not that unusual. One would think I would be better at the game.......)

When starting to install Catalina on my iMac, got popup that said Steam would not work with new OS.

Posted (WAY incorrectly!) on a thread discussing Duke Note; really sorry about that

Went to Steam page and they say they have a 64-bit version which will allow me to continue to run Steam with new OS. Has anybody else tried it? I've got 5000 hours of 7D2D on iMac, plus who knows how many on PlayStation before that option stalled on us. BUT -- at 75, I'm starting to lose ground on the tech power curve.

Will new Steam download let me play on Catalina? If it doesn't, are there other options? I have a BootCamp partition with some version of Windows (was trying to play Paths of Exile with son; that didn't work out too well), but it's kind of a pain to bounce back and forth on startup. I wouldn't be adverse to buying another copy of 7D2D directly from Pimps, if that's the only fix (but don't I have to go thru Steam to get on this Forum?).

A18 is that good!! Thanks for the efforts, Pimps. Hope I can continue to get my lunch eaten by the Zs on a semi-regular basis. (Being retired is good; 6-8 hours/day of playtime not that unusual. One would think I would be better at the game.......)

Installed Steam's new 64-bit app. Then fooled around with Apple stuff until I found directions for creating a separate "Volume" on my hard drive; did that and then installed Catalina onto the new volume. Now, if I hold down Option on restart, I can select where I want to boot from.

Opened Catalina version, had to re-install Steam. My 7D2D game showed up, but had to re-download it. When I started 7D2D, A17.4 came up. No apparent option to get A18. Right click on game Properties only gave option to opt out of all betas (?), instead of option to choose version or to constantly update to newest beta.

Re-started iMac with Option button depressed. Chose hard drive icon with Mojave still on it. Able to play my saved A18 game.

Don't know where all this is going Wish I had copied url for Steam update and Apple websites with info on how to create "volumes," but I wasn't smart enough to do that. I'm hoping that Steam and Pimps will eventually smooth things out so I can just log on to most current macOS and gleefully wander around killing/dodging/running away frantically/crying like a little girl..... I am depending completely on the kindness and wisdom of strangers

Archived