Item and block categories

Khulkhuum

I have started delving into groups of items and blocks and i seem to be pretty perplexed on how some things are assigned, not to mention that i feel some "groups" being artificial, rather than logical. As this is used in the 7DTD Wiki for grouping together in pages into categories, it gives even more confusion than its worth. The search option in crafting is useful, but i would love to simply click away when trying to find an item i want in a specific category, where i mostly have to type them in.

I also understand that most of these are specific towards crafting, yet examples show that some things are strictly out of place:

- Cotton Seed in RESOURCES - No other seeds there

- Gravel in RESOURCES - No other ground there

- Bellows in RESOURCES - More like a component than a resource

- Gun Powder in AMMO/WEAPONS - Sure it is used for ammo, but it is a resource, not ammunnition

- Bicycle/Motorcycle/Car parts in RESOURCES - these are more like components, not resources per se

Looking at the creative menu to spawn in items and blocks, some things also look strange:

- Anvil, Crucible, etc. in RESOURCES - just watch me stack that... I'd prefer it a Miscellanous

- Leather, Cloth Fr. and Mil.Fiber in CLOTHING - these are resources

- Cooking Grill in FOOD/COOKING - as Gun Powder, used in cooking, but... also Cooking Pot not there, so not all utensils match

- SCIENCE has strictly buff and healing items, with the exception of Wire Tool, where are other "Science" things?

- Candy Tin Can, Hub Cap and Car Air Filter in TOOLS/TRAPS - they are hardly tools or traps, not to mention not resources, more like Miscellanous

My proposition:

Create specific groups of items/blocks that would indicate somewhat the usage, as well as source for it:

- Basic Materials (could be ores, but that wouldn't hit it all) - This would include Clay Soil, Coal, Lead, Nitrate Powder, Oil Shale, Raw Iron, Crushed Sand, Plant Fibers, Scrap Polymers, Small Stone and Wood - This you can mine or collect and are the most basic materials that are either mined or collected. Scrap versions would go into this also for "crafting" and "creative menu" groupings.

- Lootable Materials - This would be artifical for the creative menu as items from this would not show in any station nor hand craft - Includes any smeltables (brass doorknob, lead fishing weight, faucets, etc.), feathers, headlight, empty can, large bone, leather and perhaps some more.

- Craftable Materials - Not only found in containers, but you can craft them at various stations/on hand, but again, materials - Cloth Fragments, Military Fiber, Forged Iron, Forged Steel, Gunpowder, Glass and Broken Glass, Cobblestone Rocks, Cement, etc.

- Components - Craftable and Findable, not materials per se, rather more sophisticated items - Bellows, Wheels, vehicle components (handlebars, chassis, etc.), but also Glue, Duct Tape, Electrical Parts, Short Iron Pipe, Bullet Casings, Bullet Tips, Springs, Paper, Oil, etc.

- Tools - This should mostly good, but some things are lacking like the Repair Kit (it is usable and more of a tool), Buckets, all the station items (Cooking Grill, Cooking Pot, Anvil, Crucible, etc.), etc.

- Weapons and Traps - Self explanatory, but would shift Traps here

- Food and Plants - All kinds of cooking food and plants with appropriate seeds to craft

And i could write and write more suggestions and groupings, but i'll leave it as it is. Some corrections and tweaks to my proposition surely are in place, but i hope you get to where i am going with all of this.

CAN we expect some type of cleaning up and bringing order to the many objects and items we have in the game? Is this a fruitless endeavor and just a waste of time? I would like to hear player and TFP thoughts on the matter.

Archived