Masonry trader missions

apostrophe

Reading somebody's comment over at r/7daystodie about how this guy would build trade routes between traders for more efficiently delivering their quests, I got this idea:

Traders would command you to building an x sort of building in a y location, because - and here is the tricky part of this idea - NPC refugees would move in there to live.

An example: 3 survivors are to arrive at this location. You must go there and build a 5x5 lodge (or something with at least 25 titles; a 7x4 longhouse, whatever), with a fireplace, 3 sleeping rolls and 3 chests. Upon returning to the trader, you'd be handed your reward.

To me the NPC bit is important (as it is troublesome) because it would bring a tangible need for the task itself; much like quests in a fully formed RPG, if something needs to be done, it is related to someone's needs*. Building a house just because the trader is asking you to is shallow, that's why I envision this with NPCs.

Or maybe, the mission would entail you building a lodge somewhere and staying there, in watch duty. That wouldn't need NPCs, but it would make a quests a commitment of even more ingame days.

*This idea of founding NPC communities brings another, big, suggestion to mind, but that's for another time =)

Archived