REV6:7-8's THE GREY

rev678

THESE MODLETS HAVE BEEN RETIRED

Please see 31MAY2019 post!

Description:

REV6:7-8's Modlet ... THE GREY ... STANDARD EDITION makes the game more like the Liam Neeson movie The Grey, by replacing all animals and zombies with regular wolves.

REV6:7-8's Modlet ... THE GREY ... DIRE EDITION makes the game even scarier than the Liam Neeson movie The Grey, by replacing all animals and zombies with dire wolves.

You can still manually spawn any of the other animals or zombies from the base/vanilla game using the entity spawner (F6), but this should keep them from spawning in-game otherwise...

... unless you do some of the quests which may spawn specific animals or zombies other than the substitutions this modlet makes otherwise.

You're welcome:

If you haven't seen the Liam Neeson movie The Grey (
), logout of the forums for a couple hours, and go... see... the... movie. You can thank me later.

System Requirements/Fine Print:

The latest versions of these modlets have been tested on the vanilla/base install of 7 Days To Die for PC/MAC, version(s):

Alpha 17.3 Stable B18

WITHOUT OTHER MODS, MODLETS, OR CUSTOMIZATIONS

They may or may not work with earlier versions of 7DTD, may or may not work with experimental versions of 7DTD, may or may not work with other mods or modlets or customizations, and may or may not work with your particular server configuration.

Also, console players are out of luck with this one. Sorry!

Your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor.

Known Compatibilities:

1. These modlets work properly with the
REV6:7-8's ADMIN SKILL POINTS
modlet.

2. These modlets work properly with all of the
Stedman420's Simple UI
modlets that I'm personally using...

4 Digit Craft

Bigger Backpack 120 + Player Built Storage

Compass

Crafting Queue

Forge Input

Left HUD Buff Timers

Toolbelt

Vehicle Storage

Known INcompatibilities:

1. These modlets
DO NOT
work properly with each other. Pick one edition (STANDARD or DIRE), download and install that one edition, and you can avoid serious problems.

2. These modlets
DO NOT
work properly with the
REV6:7-8's CRISPY CRITTERS
modlet. Again, decide which you want more, and stick to that path only.

3. These modlets
DO NOT
work properly with any combination of the modlets from the
REV6:7-8's REALITY CHECK
modlets package. Again, decide which you want more, and stick to that path only.

4. These modlets
DO NOT
work properly with any other mods, modlets, or customizations that add, change, remove, or replace NPCs from the 7DTD game.

Consider yourself warned.

Installation:

1. Download the appropriate zip file to your computer...

ATTACHMENT REMOVED
- Please see 31MAY2019 post!

OR

ATTACHMENT REMOVED
- Please see 31MAY2019 post!

2. Extract either the rev678_the_grey_standard_edition or rev678_the_grey_dire_edition folder from the downloaded zip file.

3. Open your 7 Days To Die game installation folder. The easiest way to do this is to find your 7 Days To Die game listed in your Steam LIBRARY, right-click on it to open the pop-up menu, select Properties, single-click on the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click on BROWSE LOCAL FILES.

4. Look in your 7 Days To Die game folder for a Mods folder. If there is NOT already a Mods folder, create one by right-clicking on any empty space in the folder window and selecting New Folder.

5. Open the 7 Days To Die game folder's Mods folder.

6. If you already HAVE an old/existing rev678_the_grey_ folder, remove it from the 7 Days To Die game folder's Mods folder.
FAILURE TO DO SO MAY CAUSE YOU UNEXPECTED ISSUES!

7. Copy or move either of the rev678_the_grey_ folders
(BUT NOT BOTH!)
from the extracted zip file into the 7 Days To Die game folder's Mods folder.

Uninstall:

To uninstall either of these modlets, simply remove the corresponding rev678_the_grey_ folder from the 7 Days To Die game folder's Mods folder.

Best Practices/Troubleshooting/Errors:

1. I strongly advise you to start a NEW game/save AFTER installing but BEFORE running either of these modlets. Failure to do so will likely result in an "Invalid Cast Exception" error. If you don't start a NEW game/save AFTER installing but BEFORE running either of these modlets, and get that error, I'm going to tell you to start a NEW game/save.

2. Sometimes an "Invalid Cast Exception" error can be corrected by "cleaning" your player profile (either using the cleaning tool in the 7DTD Launcher, or change your player profile from the in-game menus). Again though, if you don't start a NEW game/save AFTER installing but BEFORE running either of these modlets, and get that error, I'm going to tell you to start a NEW game/save.

3. If you DID start a NEW game/save, and still are having problems with either of these modlets, please try the following self-troubleshooting steps:

- Make sure 7DTD is not running.

- Move all of your existing modlet folders out of your Mods folder, say to your Desktop (TEMPORARILY).

- Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, your game/save may be pooched, and you'll want to delete it and start a new game/save. Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, your copy of 7DTD may be pooched, and you'll want to re-install. Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If not, try ONLY moving my modlet folder(s) back into your Mods folder.

- Restart the game, and see if you get the error you posted.

- If so, THEN my modlet(s) may be causing your error. If that's the case, please report back here with more details (which modlets you have installed, what game version you're running, PC/MAC/Linux/console, etc), and I'll try to help you.

- If not, someone else's product(s) are causing your error, and you'll want to pursue the issue further with them.

Hope this helps, and cheers!

REV6:7-8

OPINIONS:

My personal issues with 7 Days To Die, and zombie portrayals in movies and games in general

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?99830-My-personal-issues-with-7-Days-To-Die

MODLETS:

REV6:7-8's ADMIN SKILL POINTS

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100767-REV6-7-8-s-ADMIN-SKILL-POINTS

REV6:7-8's REALITY CHECK

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?100533-REV6-7-8-s-REALITY-CHECK

"Once more into the fray.

Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Live and die on this day.

Live and die on this day."

Tips & tricks for surviving The Grey

( These are current as of Alpha 17.1 Experimental B8, and apply to both regular and dire wolves. )

1. Regardless of what you have the zombie day/night/feral/blood moon speeds set to, wolves aren't zombies. They walk around when they're not engaged with a target and run whenever they're pursuing prey. Like zombies though, they also don't succumb to stamina issues, so you'll be hard pressed to outrun them.

2. Wolves ARE drawn to sound, so be stealthy when you'd rather not have them bearing down on you. But you can also use this intentionally, to bait them to your traps and defenses.

3. Wolves WILL path up and down ramps and stairs to reach you. Even those wolves that haven't already detected you may walk up or down ramps or stairs while otherwise idling around.

4. Wolves WILL try to jump across gaps or up onto higher blocks to reach you. When designing parkour jumps and entry points, think of wolves as zombies that can always run and leap towards you.

5. Wolves WILL attack and damage doors or walls to break through to you. Simply barricading yourself is not enough to ensure your safety.

6. Wolves WILL attack and damage trees. Living in a treehouse means you'll be taking fall damage before they eat you alive.

7. Wolves will NOT climb up or down ladders, but they may still attack and damage ladders and/or other blocks they think may help them reach you.

8. Wolves will NOT dig down, at least not in the current version. TFP may nerf this at some point. But for now at least, it means that underground bases with flat-lying hatch entries regain feasibility. Same goes for sub-surface gardens with wood or iron bars placed horizontally at ground level, and many of the other subterranean base designs from Alpha 16.4 and earlier. YouTube is your friend.

9. In a pinch, you can always dig a 3+ meter vertical hole on flat ground, drop yourself down into the hole, place a block or hatch above you, and wait it out. That's how I used to survive early-game nights in pre-Alpha 17, and even blood moon hordes, at least until I had sufficient resources to either adequately retrofit a POI or otherwise build "a real base."

Updated original post...

1. Made document formatting changes for improved readability.

2. Updated the Known INcompatibilities section.

3. Updated the Installation section.

4. Updated the Best Practices/Troubleshooting/Errors section.

The current versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest experimental version, Alpha 17.1 Experimental B9... and also back-tested with the current stable version, Alpha 17.1 Stable B240.

Updated Systems Requirements/Fine Print section of original post.

1. These modlets are fully compatible with and have been tested for Alpha 17.1 Stable B9.

2. I currently have nineteen (19) different modlets published in these forums and available for download. That's a large number of "moving parts" to test, debug, re-publish, and provide end-user support for every time TFP releases an update to 7DTD.

3. With that in mind, from this point forward, I'm only planning to officially support the latest stable release of 7DTD with my modlets.

4. That's not to say they will cease to function properly with older or experimental versions of 7DTD. They may very well work just fine for you. In all likelihood, they will, unless TFP radically changes the structure of the game's XML files.

5. THAT SAID... If you choose to "color outside the lines," you may be on your own as far as troubleshooting any issues that arise from using my modlets in unsupported scenarios.

6. Updated original post to reflect the current system requirements.

• 1 month later...

The 28FEB2019 versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version, Alpha 17.2 Stable B27.

Updated Systems Requirements/Fine Print section of original post.

• 2 months later...

The latest versions of these modlets are fully compatible with and have successfully passed testing for the latest STABLE version of 7DTD, Alpha 17.3 Stable B18.

1. Added extended version numbers within the modlets (which are visible in the console output as the modlets load), to help users know at a glance which version(s) they have installed.

2. Updated the System Requirements/Fine Print section of the original post.

3. Renamed the attached zip files in the original post, corresponding to the version of 7DTD these modlets require.

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening?

I'm officially "retiring" these modlets, immediately removing the download links for these modlets, immediately ceasing all updates to these modlets, immediately ceasing all development work on these modlets, and immediately ceasing all technical support for these modlets.

Why?

There doesn't seem to be much community interest in these modlets:

TWO
downloads since the latest update approximately two weeks ago, and only a small handful of total downloads since first posting the original version on
13JAN2019

2. I'm the only person posting anything in this thread, either new posts or followup comments, and I haven't received even a single direct/personal message regarding these modlets.

By contrast, my first two "flagship" modlet projects...

ADMIN SKILL POINTS
(
), and...

REALITY CHECK
(
)...

... both see much more regular download activity, and also generate healthy back-and-forth dialogs between myself and end-users.

What if I like these modlets and want to continue using them?

By all means, please feel free to continue using these modlets however you like.

THAT SAID

1. I cannot guarantee that these modlets will continue to function properly for you.

2. I will no longer provide any bug fixes nor updates nor feature enhancements to these modlets.

3. I will no longer provide any level of technical support for these modlets.

4. You may end up having to provide your own diagnostic and/or debugging services should you encounter any issues moving forward with these modlets.

Your mileage may vary. Caveat emptor.
Please consider yourself warned

What's next for REV6:7-8?

As mentioned previously, my "flagship" modlet projects are much more active, so I'm shifting my 7DTD focus back to maintaining and updating and enhancing those modlets.

Hope this clarifies, and cheers!

Archived