Where to begin with modding A17?

wodgey

TL:DR

Really want to remove the level 25 requirement to craft a compound bow.

I've goit to level 10 with intellect 5 and advanced engineering 1

How do I begin? Where do I start to research this mod? I am able to edit a text file :)

***************************************************************************************

(Background)

Hi everyone. I'm a complete novice/n00b when it comes to modding but I have stumbled across these forums.

I have only recently discovered 7d2d with my partner and her daughter adn we all really liuke the game. During our first play of the game, the A17 update happened and we are unable to continue our 16.4 campaign. Rather than downgrade back to A16.4 we want to move forward with the new version.

we've already completed our first horde night and we're all level 10. We've got access to a forge and workbench that we've found in building near where we've claimed a homebase, we've gathered all the resources needed to craft 3 compound bows for our party, only to realise that we need to be lvl25 to make these items.

Can anybody point me in the right direction of which files I would need to edit to change this level requirememnt?

Compound bow requires advanced engineering 1. AE1 requires level 25. You can either remove the level cap or reduce that on AE.

The way items are gated by perks is very hard to mod without making everything fragile. Until the items are moved out of tag attributes and into child nodes, it is very tedious to make adjustments outside of perks themselves.

I can see now why perk level gating has everyone freaked out lmao

AE1 requires level 25. You can either remove the level cap or reduce that on AE.

This is exactly what I am asking for help doing. Please an you point me to which files I need to edit, to achieve exactly this?

I have found this line withn progression.xml and editted the 25 to say "10"

<level_requirements level="1"><requirement name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="attIntellect" operation="GTE" value="5" desc_key="reqIntellectLevel05-25"/>

<requirement name="PlayerLevel" operation="GTE" value="10" desc_key="reqAttributeLevelDummy"/></level_requirements>

Will this effect my saves that are already in progress or will I need to start a new game?

Edit2add.

I have just reloaded a current save and also started a new game. Both show the lvl requirement as 25 in a popup dialogue box, when clicking on the padlock icon next to AE1. does this dialogue box reflect the actual stat requirement or have I just not editted the text for the popup (I hope this question makes sense)

Archived