• Perk boost for magazines is unexpectedly huge

meganoth
    • Version: 21.1 (b16)

Summary: According to XML and practical tests just 2 points in a perk let you reach 100 magazines of that type while all other unperked magazines are still at 20.

5 points in a perk means every third magazine you find is of that type.

Assuming the initial design criteria we were being told of the perk bonus being just a safety measure is still correct I would guess the current 200% bonus a perk point gives to a magazine should really have been 20%

Game Version: A21.1 b16

OS/Version: any

CPU Model: any

System Memory: NA

GPU Model and VRAM: NA

Screen Resolution: NA

Video Settings: NA

Game mode: any

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes/No) No

Did you start a new game? (Yes/No) Yes

Did you validate your files? (Yes/No) Yes

Are you using any mods? (Yes/No) No

EAC on or off? off

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) put two points into any weapon perk

2) collect magazines from general book cases and news dispenser until you have reached some advanced level in that weapons magazine

or

1) Check the XML and do the math

Actual result: You collected only 1/5th of any other magazines than that one

Expected result: The magazine should be ahead by a small percentage (this is how the magazine boost through perks was described in the forum and in changelogs), not 5 times as much as other magazines. Or even more if you perk higher.

Link to Pastebin Output Log: NA

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The perk boost and values in xml are working as intended.

If the values were smaller, you wouldn't even notice a difference.

Think of it this way. There are 23 magazines in a loot list with no probabilities set which means each one is 1. 
    Without perks, I have a 1/23 chance for any magazine.
    If I perk into Boomstick, that adds a 2, so the shotgun magazine has a 3/23 chance to land.
    2 points in Boomstick adds a 4, so it would be a 5/23 chance to land.

If you put points into Pummel Pete at the same time as Boomstick, then you're spreading the chances out even thinner.

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

The perk boost and values in xml are working as intended.

If the values were smaller, you wouldn't even notice a difference.

Think of it this way. There are 23 magazines in a loot list with no probabilities set which means each one is 1. 
    Without perks, I have a 1/23 chance for any magazine.
    If I perk into Boomstick, that adds a 2, so the shotgun magazine has a 3/23 chance to land.
    2 points in Boomstick adds a 4, so it would be a 5/23 chance to land.

If you put points into Pummel Pete at the same time as Boomstick, then you're spreading the chances out even thinner.

To notice a difference in the short term the effect is overshadowing every other magazines advancement in the long term though. Does a user really need to see it daily with his own eyes?

The problems of the approach are 1) that TFP can't make magazine advancement generally any faster because the perk-accelerated magazines dominate the advancement speed. 2 points in a perk means it is at 100 when all unperked are still at 20.

And 2) it means magazines practically don't drop if a player doesn't perk into it. It isn't really optional anymore

And 3) a player accidentally hurts his advancement in other magazines if he perks into magazine perks where he doesn't want any magazines.

I.e. it is not advisable to diversify and for example take a few points in bow because then you slow down your advancement in your main weapon and workstations.

In effect the player has to make a laundry list of magazines he needs and then he needs to put points into these perks. And the list has to be short, otherwise loot and trader will overtake crafting progression.