• Immediate crash and full reboot after RWG completes and game starts to launch

bionictulip
    • Version: A21 b317

https://pastebin.com/k2RzBf8h

Summary: After RWG completes using PREGEN6K and any seed, game starts to launch. Within 1 second, the computer reboots - sometimes I see the game initiate and the arm wiping sweat away for just a moment, sometimes it crashes before anything displays. 

Game Version: A21 b317

OS/Version: Windows 10 Pro

CPU Model: Intel i7-7700K 4.20GHz

System Memory: 32 GB

Motherboard: ASUSTeK Maximus IX Hero

GPU Model and VRAM: nVidia RTX 3070 Ti

Screen Resolution: 3840 x 2160   60 Hz

Video Settings: Ultra , Fullscreen

Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? Yes

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? No (new RWG creation)

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? On

Bug Description: 

Game crashes out and spontaneously reboots the computer immediately after RWG using PREGEN6K completes and game attempts to initialize. No playable time: crash happens as soon as the game displays (within 1 second, sometimes before anything displays). Occurs with more than one seed. 

I'll try some other RWG settings next but since it will reboot my computer if the error persists, I'm posting this now.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Use RWG PREGEN6K with any seed

2) Launch game, allow RWG to complete generation

3) Immediate crash and reboot

Actual result: Game immediately reboots computer after RWG completes and game starts

Expected result: Not spontaneously rebooting :)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I misunderstood "seed" in PREGEN6K, and mistook the Game Title for a seed, which I now see it is not, since I'm trying a full RWG using advanced settings now, and see the Seed input appear where it is missing when using PREGEN. The above error is still persistent using PREGEN. I'll comment again after trying the RWG advanced. I'm also switching to Windowed mode. 

Note above that I updated my nVidia display drivers after getting that crash twice, and on launching after the update, the crash persisted. 

Replicated the crash using RWG Advanced mode. I pregenerated the world in the advanced mode. Generation completed and the map populated. I launched the game. It crashed after initialization and rebooted my computer. 

I had also switched to Windowed mode (from fullscreen). 

Reverted to A20. The problem persisted (I haven't played for a year or so - last time I played it worked fine). 

I tried dialing settings back from Ultra to High. That allowed the game to load and I played for 30 minutes. I'll retry A21 experimental but I suspect something in the settings is the issue, so I'll toggle individual settings to find it. 

For now, I think we can say this is not an A21-specific issue.

Moving this to can't reproduce, if this is related to SS Reflections or not, do post back though either way. This will be open, and we do have a known issue with some reflections causing certain combinations of GPU/drivers/