• Console keeps popping up every two seconds

BugReportIsAss
    • Version: A21.1 (b16)

Summary: Ever since the update to A21.1, the console in the game would pop up with "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" every two seconds.

Game Version: (A21 b3xx) - A21.1 (b16)

OS/Version: (Windows / Linux / Mac) - Windows

CPU Model: (Intel i5 9600K / AMD Ryzen 7 1800x / etc) - Intel i7-13700KF

System Memory: (4 GB / 8 GB / 16 GB / etc) - 32GB

GPU Model and VRAM: (nVidia GTX 1060 4 GB / AMD RX 580 8 GB / etc) - NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB

Screen Resolution: (Width and Height such as 1920x1080) - 1920x1080

Video Settings: (Low / Medium / High / Ultra / Custom(Custom has many combinations, so just list the settings you think are relevant to the bug if any)) - Ultra

Game mode: (MP host / MP client / SP / Client on Dedi, RWG or NAV) - MP host

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes/No) No

Did you start a new game? (Yes/No) No

Did you validate your files? (Yes/No) Yes

Are you using any mods? (Yes/No) No

EAC on or off? - On

Status: NEW - Created the world just after the Alpha 21 release

Bug Description: As soon as I load into the world the console repeatedly pops up stating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" every two seconds.

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Load into world

2) N/A

3)N/A

Actual result: (description of what is occurring) - Console repeatedly pops up stating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" every two seconds.

Expected result: (what you expect to occur) - Console repeatedly pops up stating "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object" every two seconds.

Link to Pastebin Output Log: https://pastebin.com/7gjf097M

Link to Imgur game screenshot: https://imgur.com/4kV8wKg

Link if first Imgur game screenshot doesn't work: https://i.imgur.com/4kV8wKg.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Thank you for reporting.

Are you crafting anything in your workstation?  It seems that the errors are caused by a crafting recipe. 

If you are crafting something in a workstation,  please try canceling crafting and see if that stops the errors.

6 hours ago, spenziki said:

this is happening to me too, before I even load into a game

The error message has hundreds of possible causes. Without posting your logfile in a new thread (maybe first in the "general support" section instead of the bug report section) nobody can help you

I had this coming up once... I had to do the procedure to "reset" my save. Basically:

- Quit 7 days to die 

- go to %appdata%\7daystodie\saves\<Region that your save is in>

- Copy your save folder and rename it as "<game> backup"

- make a note of the save game name (<game>), and delete your original game folder 

- Go into 7 days to die, create a NEW game with the SAME "<game>" name, in the SAME region (mine was in North Xamopa County)

- Quit the game

- go into your "<game> backup" folder

- Copy all the files (not the folders) into the "<game>" folder

- go into the "<game> backup\Player" folder, copy contents to your "<game>" folder

Now here's where it's going to get hairy. You'll want to copy the contents of the "<game> backup\region" folder into the "<game>\region" folder... but one of the regions is probably causing the issue. If you're lucky, you can copy all of them with no problems. If there is a problem, copy the .rg files until you find the problem one and leave it out. Pray it isn't the one with your base in it because these files save all the changes to the tiles you've made. If you can copy all the regions, the game should load without issues.

@ BugReportIsAss

Sorry you encountered this bug, as we are trying to trouble shoot it. The programmers asked if it would be possible to upload your save file so we could get it and test it? This would hopefully allow us to find a way to fix or at least prevent it from happening again.

11 hours ago, chikorina said:

Thank you for reporting.

Are you crafting anything in your workstation?  It seems that the errors are caused by a crafting recipe. 

If you are crafting something in a workstation,  please try canceling crafting and see if that stops the errors.

This actually worked. I was apparently crafting ~80 stacks of gasoline with 62 oil shale. No clue how that happened

Very glad to hear you were able to save your game. Could you give us a few more details?

Such as:

Game version save file was started on if you remember it

Game version you had just updated from

Do you recall if you had been crafting anything else with the gas in the Chemistry Station before the update

22 minutes ago, 3ternalDamned said:

Very glad to hear you were able to save your game. Could you give us a few more details?

Such as:

Game version save file was started on if you remember it

Game version you had just updated from

Do you recall if you had been crafting anything else with the gas in the Chemistry Station before the update

The game was started just after Alpha 21 released

I updated it to the latest version, Alpha 21.1 (b16)

I believe I was also crafting beer and antibiotics along with the gas

I'm glad it worked for you.  I believe it's the gasoline that you had crafting before the update.  The update changed the ingredients necessary and the crafting time for gasolines.  

Yes I have no doubt it was the gas was the difference. But trying to repro it I couldn't get the error. All the resources just disappeared for that. Now I know to test it while having the other items qued to craft. Might let us repro. Thank you for giving us the additional info, much appreciated.