• Windows Xbox GamePass for PC 20.4 (b42) Clients Crashing to Desktop Consistently ~30 Minutes with Dedicated Vanilla Hosted Server

Bynary808

Summary: Windows Xbox GamePass for PC 20.4 (b42) Clients Crashing to Desktop Consistently ~30 Minutes with Dedicated Vanilla Hosted Server

Game Version: 20.4 (b42)

Platform: XBL (Windows Xbox GamePass for PC)

OS/Version: Windows 10

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz (cores: 12)

System Memory: 16 GB

GPU Model and VRAM: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Video Settings: Medium

Game mode: MP client

Did you wipe old saves? (Yes/No) Yes

Did you start a new game? (Yes/No) Yes

Did you validate your files? (Yes/No) Yes

Are you using any mods? (Yes/No) No

EAC on or off? OFF

Bug Description: XBL 20.4 (b42) Clients Crashing to Desktop Consistently ~30 Minutes with Dedicated Vanilla Hosted Server

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

1) Download and install the Windows Xbox GamePass for PC 7 Days to Die client

2) Log in to a dedicated server (I used G-Portal hosted)

3) Start a stopwatch

4) Wait approximately 30 minutes for 7 Days to Die client to crash to desktop

Actual result: At almost exactly 30 minutes the 7 Days to Die client will crash to desktop with no errors logged in the output log

Expected result: The expected result would be for the 7 Days to Die client to continue running

This consistent and reproduceable issue with crash to desktop every 30 minutes (timed) is happening on (2) different PCs running the Windows Xbox GamePass for PC clients using a G-Portal vanilla 20.4 (b42) dedicated server.  In addition, this issue has been posted to the general support forum with no potential identified fixes and another forum member tested their Steam client with the same server and did not experience the crash to desktop at 30 minutes.

My "typical" client output log after the 30 minute crash to desktop:

https://pastebin.com/1KBW78Z0

My friend's typical client output log after the 30 minute crash to desktop:

https://pastebin.com/w3eNbrXZ

The dedicated server output log file only showing client disconnects at 28.x - 29.x minutes.

https://pastebin.com/g3XAtQUf

Please let me know if you have any questions or need any additional information.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

To update this bug post:

I continued testing this issue with the help of @Beelzybub and I was able to connect to their test server and remain connected without a crash to desktop for ~60 minutes.

After that test, I connected to another public server and I was able to remain connected without a crash to desktop for ~60 minutes.

Based upon these results, my current assumption leads to the idea that adding XBL authentication to the 7D2D PC version likely added additional port/protocol requirements and possibly something is happening with the XBL authentication/verification at almost exactly 30 minutes that is not allowed by the G-Portal hosted 7D2D server causing the issue with Windows store/Xbox GamePass for PC clients that does not appear to be an issue for Steam clients on the same server.

I've attempted to find a list of 7D2D port/protocol requirements after the PC Windows store version to see what may have changed (and may not be allowed on the G-Portal server), but so far all I can find is the standard port forwarding information.

As such, the root cause appears that it could be something with the hosted server config, firewall config, etc. for the Windows store/Xbox GamePass for PC clients only.; however, I would expect that if the 7D2D server has an issue with authentication the 7D2D clients should 1) not crash to the desktop and 2) log an appropriate message in the client output log to indicate the source of the issue.

I have submitted a ticket to G-Portal support for the 30 minute disconnects, but I don't have any specifics on what the Windows store/Xbox GamePass for PC clients are trying to do at 30 minute intervals causing the issue vs. the Steam client which does not have that issue to help identify the issue for the server hosting provider.

However, as stated above I believe the 7D2D clients actually crashing to desktop when the issue occurs is a 7D2D issue that should not happen when a server side issue occurs.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

To update again, the official response from G-Portal was as follows:

Hello,

So long story short, This is the steam version of the game so running any other versions of the game does not guarantee the server will work for you unfortunately. We do not host any other versions aside from the Steam version of 7DTD. 

Hello,

So there appears to be some confusion regarding what is now multiple PC clients with the Windows store/Xbox GamePass for PC version.

After this, we tested on a Frag.gz hosted server and also a BlueFang hosted server and received the same results (although the first CTD on the BlueFang server was at 15 minutes with the rest at the expected 30 minute intervals).

I have the same exact problem, playing on coop with my wife, I create a game and after 20-30 mins we have a CTD , with a small difference between us, nobody answer nothing in my post in reddit etc.. have you repaired it?