• Double loading of Mods

pharrisee

I run a server on Ubuntu Linux 20.04.

I use a custom UserDataFolder location to keep all mods, prefabs and other configs out of the 7DaysToDie installation folder.

This should mean that I have a single Mods folder and when I do everything starts and runs fine.

Two of the major server manager mods (ServerTools and Botman) have a bug in them whereby they recreate the Mods folder inside the server installation, I have contacted the developers and they are aware of the issue.

The fact that they have this bug in them has raised what I believe is a separate bug in the way 7Days loads mods. (possibly only those with DLLs, not 100% sure about that)

It seems that when the two Mods folders exist 7DaysToDie is searching both locations for mods to add, good idea.  However it seems to duplicate mods in the list to be loaded.

The duplication takes place even when the mod in question is only installed in one of the Mods folders.

This is evidenced by the the attached log.

It is more evident with mods such as allocs webserver and CPM which open ports for a web api.  With the mods being loaded twice they attempt to open ports twice and that obviously fails.

The snippet of log that is of interest is this piece (full log below):

[CSMM_Patrons] Error in Web.ctor: System.Net.HttpListenerException (0x80004005): Prefix already in use.
      at System.Net.EndPointListener.AddSpecial (System.Collections.ArrayList coll, System.Net.ListenerPrefix prefix) [0x00039] in <6fcfdd162b5d4836bef3c96f53194db6>:0
      at System.Net.EndPointListener.AddPrefix (System.Net.ListenerPrefix prefix, System.Net.HttpListener listener) [0x00036] in <6fcfdd162b5d4836bef3c96f53194db6>:0
      at System.Net.EndPointManager.AddPrefixInternal (System.String p, System.Net.HttpListener listener) [0x00063] in <6fcfdd162b5d4836bef3c96f53194db6>:0
      at System.Net.EndPointManager.AddListener (System.Net.HttpListener listener) [0x0009c] in <6fcfdd162b5d4836bef3c96f53194db6>:0
      at System.Net.HttpListener.Start () [0x0000f] in <6fcfdd162b5d4836bef3c96f53194db6>:0
      at CSMM_Patrons.Web.Web.‌‬‭‭‪‏‭‍‭‪‏‏‍‏‬‬‏‬‫‌‍‪‭‮ (System.Net.HttpListener ) [0x00000] in <7e330f67f9d74778a7998c9c13ea60ea>:0
      at CSMM_Patrons.Web.Web..ctor () [0x00209] in <7e330f67f9d74778a7998c9c13ea60ea>:0

where you can see the 'Prefix already in use' error message. This bug may only effect mods with DLLs, not 100% sure as I don't have enough information to verify.

I have also verified this by having only CPM mod loaded, with all default settings, so it should open a port which is controlpanel port +3 (8083 by default).

With an empty Mods folder in the game installation location the error occurs.

With only the Mods folder in the UserDataFolder location it works fine.

The pastebin of my log is here: https://pastebin.com/vcLxww18

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

On 6/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, pharrisee said:

Just as an FYI.  The ServerTools developer has now altered his mod to put all his mod created content into the UserDataFolder.

Just to confirm, that mod developer did create a solid way to move his mod created content into the user data folder, right?

5 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Just to confirm, that mod developer did create a solid way to move his mod created content into the user data folder, right?

Yes, the dev @Obsessive Compulsive did. After i moved all mods on our server into the new user data folder AND deleted the old, empty Mods folder, the double loading entries in the servers outputlog dissapeared and everything works fine for me.

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt-GER said:

Yes, the dev @Obsessive Compulsive did. After i moved all mods on our server into the new user data folder AND deleted the old, empty Mods folder, the double loading entries in the servers outputlog dissapeared and everything works fine for me.

The botman mod is still not fixed as far as I know, but the underlying issue is still with 7d2d.  It should not double load mods (especially if they only exist in one place to start with)

8 hours ago, pharrisee said:

The botman mod is still not fixed as far as I know, but the underlying issue is still with 7d2d.  It should not double load mods (especially if they only exist in one place to start with)

Yeah, I just wanted to know if the server tool for the port issue resolution worked, because technically those are two seperate issues.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Jugginator said:

Yeah, I just wanted to know if the server tool for the port issue resolution worked, because technically those are two seperate issues.

Well, they are related, the fact that the mod tries top open a second port is down to the fact that 7Days tries to load the mod twice, even if it's only installed once.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:24 AM, Jugginator said:

Scratch that: these sorts of cases should be fixed for A21 and/or in a future 20 build.

Yep, sort of thought that would be the case and it makes sense for it to be that way.  Thanks for looking at this.