• Spawning near your bed instead of on your bed has chance to spawn you in the air and sprain/break your leg

NekoPawtato

Summary: Spawning near your bed instead of on your bed has chance to spawn you in the air and sprain/break your leg

Game Version: Alpha 20.3 b3

Platform: PC

OS/Version: Windows 10

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz

System Memory: 8GB

GPU Model and VRAM: AMD Radeon R9 M275X (4075MB?)

Screen Resolution: 1280x720

Video Settings: Potato (Lowest)

Game mode: SP

Did you wipe old saves? Not since A20.0

Did you start a new game? Yes

Did you validate your files? Yes

Are you using any mods? No

EAC on or off? On

Bug Description:

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug:

Trying to reproduce based on what happened to my friend, but it's very hard due to the random nature of where the game decides to spawn you.

He said he died, respawned near his bed, and it placed him really high in the air at trader jen's, so he fell and broke his leg immediately after spawning back in

The "vanilla way" (almost impossible due to randomness of where it spawns you)

1) Place bedroll near trader Jen

2) Die somewhere

3) Select option to respawn near bed, instead of on bed (game needs to respawn you inside a certain area of trader jen)

The "reproduceable way"

1) Hit F1

2) Enter "dm"

3) Hit esc

4) Punch in coordinates on top right that will result in spawning high up in jen's area (ex: -1738 1202)

5) Hit teleport

In my specific map, teleporting 1738W 1202N (near the rails of jen's watertower) would almost always result in a broken or sprained leg

Actual result:

video: https://imgur.com/a/r9YBleC

screenshot of map of where i teleported to:

https://i.imgur.com/sLTnVMK.jpg

Expected result: Do not respawn player high in the air

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Are you able to get the output logs from your friend? You can find it here C:/steamLibrary/steamapps/common/7Daystodie/7daystodiedata/  This will help to be able to reproduce the bug. Trying to reproduce this no success yet.

40 minutes ago, Pokketninja said:

Are you able to get the output logs from your friend? You can find it here C:/steamLibrary/steamapps/common/7Daystodie/7daystodiedata/  This will help to be able to reproduce the bug. Trying to reproduce this no success yet.

Unfortunately this was a few weeks ago so I don't think we have those logs anymore

I figure this type of bug may need some debug tool/flag to show whether a location a user is standing on is a valid respawn point or not, given the chances of respawning at the exact perfect spot in jens base after death is pretty low. 

Or some way to hardcode the range/direction of where you will respawn so that you would always respawn on the same spot everytime when you hit "spawn near my bed" (only for testing purposes)

Or possibly just don't let players respawn in the boundaries of a trader base?

@Pokketninja you can probably just move this to cannot reproduce. Since I don't really know exactly which spot in trader jen he could have respawned on, for all I know it could just be it spawned him at the topmost edge of the watertower and he walked off of it himself. And even if there was a risk of breaking your leg due to a bad respawn point, the chance is so low it would think it's unlikely to happen again.

tested a couple locations and agreed that this is just a fluke as i could not repro it as well.

Thanks  :)
    QA Tester-unholyjoe