• Lockpicking a player wall safe may lead to loss of items

Shalmon

When you lock your wall safe and another player on your server takes out the lock picks and opens it, the wall safe will lose half of it's inventory slots, destroying the other half if they had items. It is also not possible to lock the safe again after that.

I assume that it becomes the POI version of a lockpicked safe.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Reproduction steps:

1. Place a wall safe, fill it up with items and lock it.

2. Have a friend use their lock picks to open it.

3. Safe inventory is now much smaller and the items that were in the now missing slots are now gone.

A bit more testing (this time on a map on my PC, so I can go debug mode)

1. Created a new game on the Navezgame map

2. Placed a wall safe, a desk safe and a gun safe, filled them with items and made sure they are locked.

3. Friend joins map, gets lock picks and is able to pick the lock on all 3 safes, resulting in all of them having a smaller inventory and voiding the items in the slots that got removed.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/fhRfAgB

Instead of lockpicking the safe, you can reproduce this issue by simply smashing the safe so that it downgrades to it's insecure version. I tested this by placing a locked safe from creative onto the wall, placing stuff onto the bottomost row of the safe, and then hitting it with the dev hammer. The item(s) will be gone from the safe.

Locked version: inventory is 8x9

Fk2W1dB.jpg

9ulTNHq.jpg

Unlocked/Insecure version (via smashing a locked safe open): inventory is 8x5

FMJSRhF.jpg

2Us4RRM.jpg

Thanks for the ping, lots going on and kind of forgot - sorry!

Okay so those safes, naturally, should only have 8 rows total, not nine like is in the screenshot. Something may have been modded, I would verify your file integrity.

What I will do is put a request in for a separate player safe that's crafted, to prevent this lockpicking period.

Second note, we couldn't reproduce the safes breaking down into less rows like you showed + there's nothing in code showing this is possible. I would check your file integrity and/or delete your Config folder then verify to get fresh ones.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

On 3/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, Jugginator said:

Second note, we couldn't reproduce the safes breaking down into less rows like you showed + there's nothing in code showing this is possible. I would check your file integrity and/or delete your Config folder then verify to get fresh ones.

@Jugginator may I ask which safes you tried? I saw wall safes and desk safes break down into their insecure versions (which has smaller inventory) but gun safes did not.

7 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

@Jugginator may I ask which safes you tried? I saw wall safes and desk safes break down into their insecure versions (which has smaller inventory) but gun safes did not.

All of the player craftable ones. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, Jugginator said:

All of the player craftable ones. 

Hi @Jugginator sorry to bother, but the secure safes downgrading to insecure safes with smaller container size was something that kept bugging me in the back of my mind for a while. I decided to take a deeper dive into this.

Firstly, I went and verified my file integrity (I am on A20.3 B3).

Then I went looking at how to determine storage container size by looking at xml files (referenced this thread:

I reviewed my screenshots above to find the name of the blocks, cntWallSafe and cntWallSafeInsecure

So then I searched in blocks.xml for cntWallSafe and compared it to cntWallSafeInsecure

cntWallSafe has a LootList value of gunSafe

Spoiler

<block name="cntWallSafe">
        <property name="Class" value="SecureLoot"/>
        <property name="Tags" value="safes,door"/>
        <property name="DisplayType" value="blockHardened"/>
        <property name="Material" value="Mmetal_hard"/>
        <property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/> <!-- build restriction -->
        <property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>
        <property name="Model" value="#Entities/LootContainers?safeMetalWallClosePrefab.prefab"/>
        <property name="HandleFace" value="South"/>
        <property name="LootList" value="gunSafe"/>
        <property name="DescriptionKey" value="cntGunSafeDesc"/>
        <property class="RepairItems">
            <property name="resourceForgedIron" value="15"/>
        </property>
        <property name="DowngradeBlock" value="cntWallSafeInsecure"/>
            <property name="LockPickItem" value="resourceLockPick"/>
            <property name="LockPickTime" value="15"/>
            <property name="LockPickBreakChance" value="0.75"/>
        <drop event="Destroy" count="0"/>
        <drop event="Fall" name="scrapMetalPile" count="1" prob="0.75" stick_chance="1"/>
        <property name="Group" value="Building,advBuilding"/>
        <property name="EconomicValue" value="300"/>
        <property name="FilterTags" value="MC_building,SC_loot"/>
    </block>

cntWallSafeInsecure has a LootList value of smallSafes

Spoiler

<block name="cntWallSafeInsecure">
        <property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
        <property name="Tags" value="safes"/>
        <property name="CustomIcon" value="cntWallSafe"/>
        <property name="DisplayType" value="blockHardened"/>
        <property name="Material" value="Mmetal_hard"/>
        <property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/> <!-- build restriction -->
        <property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>
        <property name="Model" value="#Entities/LootContainers?safeMetalWallClosePrefab.prefab"/>
        <property name="HandleFace" value="South"/>
        <property name="Class" value="Loot"/>
        <property name="LootList" value="smallSafes"/>
        <property class="RepairItems">
            <property name="resourceForgedIron" value="15"/>
        </property>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="terrStone" count="0" tool_category="Disassemble"/>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="" count="0" tag="salvageHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceScrapIron" count="5,15" tag="allHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Destroy" count="0"/>
        <drop event="Harvest" name="resourceForgedIron" count="3,6" tag="salvageHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Destroy" name="resourceSpring" count="1,2" tag="salvageHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Destroy" name="resourceMechanicalParts" count="1,3" tag="salvageHarvest"/>
        <drop event="Fall" name="scrapMetalPile" count="1" prob="0.75" stick_chance="1"/>
        <property name="FilterTags" value="MC_building,SC_loot"/>
        <property name="LootStageMod" value="0.05"/>
        <property name="LootStageBonus" value="6"/>
    </block>

I went into loot.xml and searched for gunSafe which states size="8,9"

Spoiler

<!-- gun safe -->
    <lootcontainer id="7" name="gunSafe" size="8,9" sound_open="UseActions/open_safe" sound_close="UseActions/close_safe" open_time="1" loot_quality_template="qualPlus1Template">
        <item group="groupGunSafeSecure"/>
    </lootcontainer>

I searched for smallSafes which was right above the gunSafe entry, it has size="8,5"

Spoiler

<lootcontainer id="6" name="smallSafes" size="8,5" sound_open="UseActions/open_safe" sound_close="UseActions/close_safe" open_time="1" loot_quality_template="qualPlus1Template">
        <item group="groupSmallSafeLoot"/>
    </lootcontainer>

This seems to match the screenshots i posted earlier showing 8x9 for secure and 8x5 for insecure. I am not sure why the safes aren't breaking down into smaller container size for you guys :confused2: unless I am reading these xmls completely wrong.