• [PC] [A20] Transparent/invisible mainmenu (sometimes)

Thunderbolt-GER

Summary: Starting the game sometimes results in a transparent/invisible main menu

anticheatlauncher.log : https://pastebin.com/95FAhvvQ
    launcher.log : https://pastebin.com/5Wfz72XN
    loader.log : https://pastebin.com/fg1ukpt1
    output_log_client__2022-06-10__07-54-42.txthttps://pastebin.com/sZzaDva7

Game Version: 20.5 (b2) stable

Platform: Steam

OS/Version: Windows 10  (10.0.19044) 64bit

CPU Model: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (cores: 4)

System Memory: 32 GB dualchan

GPU Model and VRAM: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB (Driver: 30.0.15.1277)

Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Video Settings: Custom

Game mode: Client on dedi, RWG

Did you wipe old saves? Yes (Server started fresh map with a20 stable), local data was deleted via launcher

Did you start a new game? (Server started fresh map with a20 stable)

Did you validate your files? Yes, twice

Are you using any mods? No, not locally. The server has some a20 compatible serverside modlets (like vehicle respawner, etc)

EAC on

Bug Description:

Starting the game with rightclick on Steam icon in Systray -> 7 Days To Die from the Steam library or through 7DaysToDie.exe, 7DaysToDie_EAC.exe, 7dLauncher.exe directly from the install folder leads to the same result.
    (7DaysToDie.exe does NOT show the EAC loading screen of course and leads directly to the problem mentioned below)

• I start 7 Days to die with any of the above mentioned methods.
    • The colored, nonfullscreen EAC loading screen appears.
    • The screen with the FunPimps logo (with the pre-release software message) is NOT shown at any time.
    • Screen turns black for a moment, until the menu is loaded (invisible/transparent).
    • When the menu load is done the desktop is visible.
    • It is like the menu screen is fully transparent now, because the active menu can be verified by moving the mouse and hearing the "tick tick" sounds, when the mousepointer hovers over the menu entries. So i am not "tabbed out" of the game / menu screen.
    • The mousepointer icon is the grey one from the game, not the one from Windows.
    • Alt tabbing to the desktop and back to the game works, but does not change/fix anything.
    • The game has to be exited by pressing ALT+F4

Measures taken

• Verified gamefiles in Steam (twice) multiple times
    • Cleaned ALL gamedata with 7dLauncher.exe
    • Reinstalled Steam
    • Updated graphic driver (from nVidia website) without the GeForce Experience stuff

Temporary fix & observations

• Logging out & in again to my Windows account and restarting the game, does fix this display issue every time, until it randomly happens again at some point.
    • A Reboot does fix it too.
    • When the invisible menu is loaded, pressing CTRL+ALT+WIN+B (driver reset) made the menu visible to me once, so that i was able to connect to the Server, but the invisible/tranparent issue came back somewhere after clicking to connect the Server. It would continue to load everything, but i can't see how far it gets and can only use game sounds as indicator to guess at which stage the startup/load process is. The Servers output log shows, that the connecting and receiving configs etc. part works without problems.
    • In my last attempt to reset the driver with CTRL+ALT+WIN+B, the menu would not become visible like before and i had to quit 7 Days with ALT+F4
    • Switching to windowed mode by pressing ALT+ENTER works, shows a white titlebar and frame around the window and i think the background is black, instead of transparent, but with no menu in it. I am not 100% if the background is black or transparent in windowed mode, as i can't test it right now because i just logged into Windows which is the state when everything still works correctly.
    • I can switch back to fullscreen with ALT+ENTER and get the transparent menu again. (Desktop is visible).
    • I am not using "exclusive fullscreen", in case that matters.
    • VSync on/off doesn't make a difference.
    • If the issue does not occur and the menu loaded fine (visible), it will never occur during the gaming session.
    • Other 3d applications do not seems to cause any problems, as far as i noticed.

Additional information

• I think this started happening with Alpha 20.5 b2 stable, but i am not 100% sure if it might already started with Alpha 20.4 b42 stable. I can say for sure, it did not occour previous to these 2 versions.
    • I never installed an experimental version.
    • I don't have any gpu tuning/tweaking tools installed.
    • DirectX 12 is installed.
    • I did not make any major changes to my system before the issue.
    • The system also has an onboard Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, but 7 Days is definately starting with the nVidia card.

Possible related problems from others

Actual result: see above

Expected result: No transparent menu when starting the game 😉

It feels like this is a driver issue, but i am currently out of ideas what else to do, since it only seems to happen with 7 Days To Die and it started all of a sudden, without me touching the graphics card driver or having any system/os problems.
    It also only happens sometimes and i did not find a way to repro it by will.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Not sure if it's related, but your log file shows an EOS problem:

2022-06-10T07:55:27 20.857 INF [EOS] Connection test failed: The operation has timed out.

I would have expected "INF [EOS] Login succeeded" instead.

Also running the game with only 1.977 MB VRAM could be some sort of a problem. Always close all background programs which are using VRAM on it's own (Webbrowser etc.).

How has this issue been? "Also running the game with only 1.977 MB VRAM could be some sort of a problem." also is true, you're below the minimal requirement at that point, but it should still load. There have been some changes done recently that may help. If not, let me know here.

The problem still occurs sometimes.
    I'm playing on this laptop since alpha 16 and i did not have the problem prior to a20.

If the problem does not occur, which is most of the time, i can play the game fine with 2 gb vram.

I just think it is odd, because the mainmenu surely doesn't need 2 gb vram :)

Since i won't install any experimental versions, if have to wait a bit longer until the stable version gets released.