There needs to be even more deadly things later in the game to make it less boring!

7DaysToDieIdeas

(Tell me if this is a good idea you guys) So I was thinking the other day, instead of JUST zombie hordes there should be other deadly things that can occur to you later on in the game. For example: after, let's say, day 60 your base should be heavily fortified with reinforced concrete, tungsten doors, iron walls, etc. You'll probably have a food and water supply to last you forever. You'll have tons of ammo and supplies. And when that happens you're gonna be like, "Ugh, this game is getting boring. It's too easy!" and you'll probably just stop playing or make a new game and start over. But wait! Before you start over, what if there were things that could happen to you to make the game more challenging/interesting? Here's what I was thinking: Day 42 - Huge Zombie Horde: A horde of over 50 zombies attacks your base. The horde should be scripted to contain atleast 8 police officers, 10 dogs, and 10 spider zombies. Day 56 - Terrorist Raid: On day 56, a group of terrorists looking to cause trouble and raid buildings will come into your territory. The group would contain 12 terrorists; 3 unarmed, 3 with melee weapons, 3 with firearms, 2 with rocket launchers, and 1 in a tank. That's right, a tank! Day 63 - Meteor Shower: On day 63 a rare meteor shower would occur over Navezgane. Little do you know that these meteors are too big to burn up in Earth's atmosphere so some of them are going to impact the land. The trajectory of the meteors should be scripted to land in random areas around your base. But if you're unlucky, a small meteor would cause a considerable amount of damage to your structures such as cracking concrete blocks just enough until they're about to break. But if a large meteor is headed towards your base then your base is screwed, because a large meteor should be scripted to fly right through ANY block (except bedrock) until it hits the ground and makes a crater. That means not even your most secure structures are safe! Day 70 - Military Sweep: On day 70 the military should come to "clean up" the town and try to kill as many zombies as possible. But there's a bad part, the military has orders to shoot anything that moves on sight, including survivors, that's because they want to make sure that there is NO chance for another outbreak in that area and they don't want a single person to accidentally spread the virus... When that happens 3 tanks, 5 soldiers with weapons, and 1 military chopper with missiles will come. And if they see you they will try to kill you without hesitation. But you could still have a chance. If you put down a lot of land mines you can destroy a tank in 5 hits (so 5 land mines can destroy 1 tank). And you can destroy the helicopter with a rocket launcher. Don't have a rocket launcher? No worries, you can still try to shoot the pilot with a ranged weapon - but it's hard to do! Day 98 - Military Nuclear Detonation: Finally, on Day 98, the worst thing happens. The military decides to drop a nuke over Navezgane to kill every mutant creature living there and try to stop them from reaching other parts of the United States. You would get a "warning" before this happens though. On Day 97 the military would send a UAV to fly over the land to get an idea of what they're dealing with. That's when you know it's about to happen. The only way you can survive this is if you do 3 things; wear a radiation suit, dig to bedrock, and forget about your base. If you dig all the way down to bedrock you would survive the blast but everything above ground would be totally annihilated... After the nuke drops you need to put on your radiation suit, because when you go outside you will notice that the WHOLE ENTIRE MAP would be nothing but dead trees and irradiated dirt. So basically it's just the Nuclear Fallout Zone, but it covers the whole map... Literally no place in the game would be clean... So after this horrible disaster occurs, you just have to try to survive in an irradiated wasteland until you run out of resources and die. So it is IMPORTANT to store as much food and water underground as possible and try to make a base underground.

Day 42 - ok, but 50 is actually possible already with current spawn mechanics - just not scripted special mobs. Day 56 - well supposedly there will be chaingun wielding bandits at some point and a boss - duke of navezgane I'm not really into the whole scripted events happen on certain days thing. The weekly feral horde is bad enough - I think randomness is more fun. Maybe a after X days it becomes a chance of happening... Day 63 - god how I hate games that have random events that cause havoc and there's nothing you can do about it. No thanks. Day 70 and 98 - sounds like a good mod. Do not want to see anything like this in the base game.

I agree with leastconcern for the most part. I personally dont care for any of the ideas fully as they are written. maybe random small/medium groups of military or other survivor groups that are also trying to live of scavenged supplies. sounds like your onto a really cool mod for some people. and i really dont like the idea of a "boss". feels like it would be leaning twords becoming just another zombie game.

I like the idea of random events. There shouldn't be exact days like you posted but random events that have a % chance to trigger after day X would be great as long as there are plenty of them. Chances shouldn't be to high though and maybe there could be specific circumstances that increase the chance of specific events. That could be used to create the feeling of a living world where actually stuff happens. Specific POIs could also have a chance to have events specifically designed for the POI. Something like that would especially great as soon as neutral/friendly NPCs are in. I'm not a fan of specific dates where events happen. It would soon be boring if you'd always no event xyz happens in X days.

Those don't sound fun at all to me, just being honest. Whats the point of spending hours building a base only for it to get nuked in the end, no matter what? I agree with the need for more activities when you reach that level of self sufficiency and security, but I dont think those are the best way. I like the randomness of the game and I dont even like this feral horde crap every 7 days now, nevermind what you listed. Now I have to keep track of the day and if its almost the 7th night, I gotta prepare for the feral horde. Last couple times I did that I wanted to go explore for a few days but it was almost a 7th night so I wanted go waig until after. I sat around my base, doing very little until I started preparing for the feral horde. Emptied my backpack incase I died, loaded up on ammo and weapons, then I sat and waited on my tower... nothing came. Literally didnt see one zombie the entire night. What a big waste of time. I just dont like scripted events and I think thats why I like 7 days to die so much, because you can do what ever you want for however long you want with no worries other than starving or getting killed by zombies. When I have a nice base built, I want to enjoy the safety I spent the time to create, not watch it turn to dust from a nuke. I wouldnt even go underground, id make a nice big window on the top floor of my house and when the bomb goes off, im going to stare right at it, naked, and go down with the ship. As for the terrorist attack... being a combat vet, I want to kill zombies, not taliban, or taliban zombies with RPG's. As for high speed military gear, yes! They should add ballistic vests, pounches and stuff so you can customize your kit, different backpacks that can carry more or less, many, many more weapons which could make the late level gameplay more fun because they you got tons of rare items to find and craft. My idea would be roaming groups of npcs that you could run into, or discover you. Very tough, unpredictable, but still random. I didnt mean to sound like an ass if I did either, fyi. I just dont like the events that occur on specific days because for me it then becomes a count down. I dont like being timed in games, maybe its an anxiety thing, idk. More random events and the number of items, from junk to rare weapons is what will keep it entertaining for me. When you start to be able to predict whats where and see the same stuff over and over, thats when I start to get bored. I think procedural generation is the future for games.

Obviously I am also the opinion that a lot of the ideas posted by OP are over the top. But I'm generally open for scripted events as long as they are random. I also think that the feral hordes we have right now would be better if they would randomly appear 1 night a week, starting at week 2. It's kinda weird that they appear exactly every 7th night. The only good reason for doing it like that is the title of the game.. If they want to keep it this way I'd be fine with the first feral horde spawning on day 7 as long as the rest appears at least semi-random. One example could be the arrival of NPC survivors that ask for shelter for the night. This night a larger horde would spawn and if you succeed the NPC could even give you some reward. It could also just be a bee swarm or a horde of dogs.. As long as there are plenty of different things to happen and these events don't happen to often (maybe something like a total 10% chance each night distributed over all different events) it could be pretty cool..

Archived