More ideas

Zazrael

I'm pretty new to the game and I don't have time to go through and read all the previous threads so some of these may be covered already, but here are a few ideas I thought might make the game experience more enjoyable. Leveling- I'd like to see some kind of rpg-esque point system to make my survivor better when leveling. As a character levels they should be able to increase their effectiveness in the skills that they use most often. (ala-Skyrim) If a player sneaks around a lot, make them more difficult to detect. As a player survives, they are going to figure out ways of doing things better, giving doors an option to oil the hinges and add a timer to it like containers. Decrase the timer to unlock safes and locked containers as they gain practice opening them. If they do a lot of brain bashing, increase the damage they do in melee to zombies and reduce the deterioration of melee weapons to simulate their ability to more effectively and efficiently use them. Same with ranged weapons, the more you shoot the better you get. While "firing from the hip", shrink the AOE reticle for a tighter target area or make it so that as long as the zombie is within the four points of the reticle, you won't miss. While in aiming mode, add a chance to "one shot" a zombie as long as the red dot is anywhere on the upper torso or head. Also, the deterioration of the firearm should not affect the damage of the bullet. It doesn't matter if you fire it out of the finest firearm ever made or a steel pipe, the velocity of the respective round is constant. Most of the time I'm sprinting around. Set up an increase to stamina and speed to simulate better physical conditioning over time. Crafting- It's a huge part of the game. Set up crafting levels that will increase the durability and effectiveness of the items you craft and allow you to improve the items you have already crafted. Add a decrease to the material cost of items you can craft as you learn how to more efficiently use the materials on hand. (ie, one iron bar would count for two. In the case of an odd amount, material left over would, if plausable, become scrap to later be recombined) Vehicles- Cars and trucks take a very long time to decay into the rusted out hulks that are scattered throught the map area and I find it hard to believe that absolutely [U]no[/U] vehicles survived, when whole neighborhoods are still standing. Finding intact vehicles and being able to use them would be extremely helpful in getting around the massive maps. All the materials to repair and maintain them are already in the game. Give them stat bars for durability, oil, fuel, and coolant while driving them, similar to our health, stamina, hunger, and dehydration bars. You could go as far as creating crafting materials like windshields and such for replacement parts after running over zombies, which would be cool too, but unnecessarily complicated I think. Companions- This I have seen posted before, but I thought mentioning it again would be helpful. Having an NPC companion would make things more interesting and enjoyable. Being able to direct them to assist with specific tasks, sending them off on resource gathering trips, or just someone there to help you fend off zombies on horde nights, would help break up the monotony of scavenge, build, fend off, repeat. Make them level up and equip similar to the way companions in Diablo 3 level up, with skills like melee, marksman, and first aid that can be increased with level. Simple but useful, and not overpowered. Classes- everyone that survived will have had some type job that they did before the apocalypse. I think having different character classes would really increase the enjoyability and personal attachment to them. Use classes like police officer, mechanic, teacher, architect, soldier, farmer, etc, with an associated bonuses to skills. Also add secondary hobby skills such as outdoorsman, hiker, bodybuilder, gardener, and such to be subclasses. Animals- If they are to be seriously considered for resources, killing them should be easier than it currently is. Shooting a zombie in the head = dead zombie, shooting a deer/pig in the head = wasted bullet. Currently, I do not even bother trying to kill animals for food and such because it just takes too much effort and too many resources. Also a mechanic whereby wounding an animal would offer a distraction to the zombies would be helpful especially on more difficult settings during hordes. Make it similar to the effect of carrying something odiferous, only centered on the scared animal running around bleeding and screaming, that draws the zombies away. Make them die after 15 or 20 seconds so the zombies will refocus on the player if they're still in the vacinity. Bags- They come in all different shapes and sizes from purses to duffels. Having different catagories of bags with different capacities would be helpful. Start with say a regular back back, then a hikers pack, and last a military tactical pack. Give each progressive pack one extra row of storage, with the ability to carry bigger stacks of specific items, like more food/water for the hikers pack or more ammo in the tactical pack. Belts- Same with belts. Keep the current standard belt and add a tool belt that allows you to equip up to 3 tools in one slot, and a tactical belt that allows up to 3 weapons to be equipped to one slot. (access them by pressing the number they are equipped to and 1, 2, or 3 respectively) That is all that comes to mind at the moment, great work so far, I'm enjoying the game immensley.

[QUOTE=Zazrael;139802] Animals- If they are to be seriously considered for resources, killing them should be easier than it currently is. Shooting a zombie in the head = dead zombie, shooting a deer/pig in the head = wasted bullet. Currently, I do not even bother trying to kill animals for food and such because it just takes too much effort and too many resources. Also a mechanic whereby wounding an animal would offer a distraction to the zombies would be helpful especially on more difficult settings during hordes. Make it similar to the effect of carrying something odiferous, only centered on the scared animal running around bleeding and screaming, that draws the zombies away. Make them die after 15 or 20 seconds so the zombies will refocus on the player if they're still in the vacinity.[/QUOTE] Hunting animals is hard and a challenge and as a result is fun! I can clear 50-60 raw meet in about 1-2 hours exploring. It shouldn't be made easier, lol.

Archived