Looking for suggestions for corpse spawn mechanics

Ghost314

I was getting really annoyed at loosing most of the loot on horde nights, due to corpses blowing up when they land on top of each other, and decided to take a look at modding for a solution.

The general idea is pretty simple, before spawning a corpse block, check to see if there is already a corpse block there, if the space is occupied, check every position in a square around that location, and proceed outwards until a valid spawn point is found.

I already developed a working prototype, so I know now that this can be done, and I'm currently in the process of working out the precise details, of where I want the corpses to spawn in various awkward situations. There is one particular scenario that I'm not too sure about, and figured I'd seek input from other players. Perhaps some people can think of other scenarios that I failed to consider as well.

I felt the easiest way to explain the behavior I'm planning on was visually, so I made a table of each scenario I'm considering. The table depicts a 2D side-view of the world, so up represents height above bedrock. The cells, representing blocks in the game world, are labeled and color coded according to the following legend:

ZC - Place where a zombie is killed, which also contains a corpse block

G - Any sort of block that obstructs free movement (ground/walls etc)

C - A corpse block

? - A block where it might make sense to spawn the next corpse, but I'm not sure

Empty green cells are blocks where I think the next zombie corpse should spawn

Empty red cells are blocks where it might make sense to spawn the next corpse, but I don't think it should.

DN0D668.jpg

I am particularly interested in what people think of the case with the blue question mark blocks. Should the corpse spawn try to 'pass through' the wall, and remain closer to the same height as the killed zombie? Or should it try to remain closer to the height of the last placed corpse?

Archived