Add Barrels to the game, with visual indicator of content and fullness

Peter34

I'd like to see Barrels added to the game. They should cost 10 Planks to make, and 1 Scrap Iron, rather than the only 6 Planks of a Storage Chest. They should have the same number of slots, and no locking feature. But unlike Storage Chests, they should only be usable for liquids (anything that can be put into a Glass Jar, or maybe just Murky Water, Bottled Water, Tea and Coffee, ignoring the more exotic ones) and only one kind of liquid at a time: The first kind of bottled liquid you put into a Barrell "locks" it, and only that kind of liquid can be put into it, until all bottles are removed. Furthermore, Barrels should do two things: 1. Indicate what kind of liquid they contain by colour. The colour could shine through the gaps in the planks. 2. Indicate roughly how full they are, as measured by total number of bottels (not number of stack slots occupied, since some stack slots could be half-occupied). The colour-shine from abode could go from the bottom and up to the top for a full barrel, or halfway for a half-full one, and so forth, using 20% or 25% intervals, or even 33% of that's easier. That way, it becomes possible at-a-glance to see how well-stocked one's base is with clean/unclean Water, Tea and Coffee, without having to atually open the containers to check and do a [I]manual[/I] count. And it would also slightly increase the visual variety of base interiors, which are currently (and have been for a very long time) domanated by a very, very few usefulness-objects.

I agree on more container types. A barrel should contain only one type of iquid drink without glass jar and need a glass jar to draw liquid from it. I suggest the option to have an open barrel where you see the liquid in it and everyone can draw from it but also a closed barrel that would either be lockable or at least take some time to open. Type of liquid inside should automatically print on the barrel, on chests you should be able to print your own text.

[QUOTE=LarsingeM;138350]I agree on more container types. A barrel should contain only one type of iquid drink without glass jar and need a glass jar to draw liquid from it. I suggest the option to have an open barrel where you see the liquid in it and everyone can draw from it but also a closed barrel that would either be lockable or at least take some time to open. Type of liquid inside should automatically print on the barrel, on chests you should be able to print your own text.[/QUOTE] Well, yes, that would be a more advanced implementation, sure. But mine is easier to program. Of course I agree about labels for chests, but for some reason the devs are extremely resistant to that idea.

[QUOTE=Peter34;138547]Well, yes, that would be a more advanced implementation, sure. But mine is easier to program. Of course I agree about labels for chests, but for some reason the devs are extremely resistant to that idea.[/QUOTE] I really hope someone can change their mind. Signs and chest labels of some kind are more needed than anything. Would be nice to be able to communicate to someone visiting your property or organize the chests in a better way.. Maybe they are afraid we will only swear on our lables.. Do evil things.. If nothing happens in the wasteland soon i will purpously contract diarea and smear my message in poop on the wall of my base.. I will look for a mod for it in the future. Everyone would know its my idea..

[QUOTE=LarsingeM;139414]I really hope someone can change their mind. Signs and chest labels of some kind are more needed than anything.[/QUOTE] Quoted for truth. I have a hard enough time keeping my stuff organized when I play solo, using 20+ chests for various things, but if I play coop with other players, getting them to use any system, let alone a system I've devised, is next to impossible.

Archived