Useless TV's

I have an idea Funpimps. When a player makes a TV on the workbench. The TV is useless. How about having the tv show funny trader commercials, and you can change channels. or have the TV be hooked up to the camera's on a players base. So we can see zombies roaming around.

1 hour ago, Kimberly Grace said:

I have an idea Funpimps. When a player makes a TV on the workbench. The TV is useless. How about having the tv show funny trader commercials, and you can change channels. or have the TV be hooked up to the camera's on a players base. So we can see zombies roaming around.

There is a closed circuit TV mod that lets you use cameras like security cameras and view them on the TV.  There were issues with FPS because you are basically rendering multiple views at once and the game can sometimes struggle with just one view (yours) depending on hardware.  I'm not sure if that issue was still apparent in the latest version of the mod, but it would be an issue that TFP probably wouldn't go for since they won't even let you craft all the decorations because some will impact performance of too many are in the game.  Of they won't even let us craft all of the decorations because of performance, they definitely won't implement that., though it would be interesting. 

Shows may be similar, though I don't know.  I do know there are more that let you have static images or even video on the TVs, though.

2 hours ago, Kimberly Grace said:

I have been thinking of something like this for a bit now too.

I LOVE the idea of trader commercials!

Being able to view different cameras would be nice, but also was thinking about the computers as well as the TVs. Maybe being able to control the wired in turrets that are on the same grid?

55 minutes ago, Riamus said:

There is a closed circuit TV mod that lets you use cameras like security cameras and view them on the TV.  There were issues with FPS because you are basically rendering multiple views at once and the game can sometimes struggle with just one view (yours) depending on hardware.  I'm not sure if that issue was still apparent in the latest version of the mod, but it would be an issue that TFP probably wouldn't go for since they won't even let you craft all the decorations because some will impact performance of too many are in the game.  Of they won't even let us craft all of the decorations because of performance, they definitely won't implement that., though it would be interesting. 

Shows may be similar, though I don't know.  I do know there are more that let you have static images or even video on the TVs, though.

(Mods are a good option for PC, However…)

I’d like to again voice that base game would need the update, so that console players would be able to utilize it, as we don’t have mod support. 

That said, I was thinking about how it would handle rendering multiple views. Perhaps a limit of 4 viewable at one time on a tv screen.

As for possibly a computer screen to control turrets, that would only render one at a time.

1 hour ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

(Mods are a good option for PC, However…)

I’d like to again voice that base game would need the update, so that console players would be able to utilize it, as we don’t have mod support. 

That said, I was thinking about how it would handle rendering multiple views. Perhaps a limit of 4 viewable at one time on a tv screen.

As for possibly a computer screen to control turrets, that would only render one at a time.

Mods are always going to be mentioned in the PC section of this forum, especially if someone does not say they are on console and so telling them about available mods is actually useful to them if they are on PC.  ;)  And the reason I mentioned those is that people who are interested can take a look at them and they can also see to what extent it impacts performance.  I can just about guarantee linking multiple cameras to TVs on console will kill performance, but it would depend on whether or not they could optimize it enough.

You can already control turrets from a screen... you just have to be standing at the turret.  If there was an option to link that to a monitor, that might be interesting.  But in the end, you'll always be better off using your own weapon instead.  The turrets will function far faster and more accurately than you will.  :D

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Mods are always going to be mentioned in the PC section of this forum, especially if someone does not say they are on console and so telling them about available mods is actually useful to them if they are on PC.  ;)  And the reason I mentioned those is that people who are interested can take a look at them and they can also see to what extent it impacts performance.  I can just about guarantee linking multiple cameras to TVs on console will kill performance, but it would depend on whether or not they could optimize it enough.

You can already control turrets from a screen... you just have to be standing at the turret.  If there was an option to link that to a monitor, that might be interesting.  But in the end, you'll always be better off using your own weapon instead.  The turrets will function far faster and more accurately than you will.  :D

I realize mods will be an options for PC, I’m just trying to make sure good suggestions for the base game (and what console receives) don’t just get dismissed as “go get the mod” and the discussion dies there.

Yes you can control where the turret is pointed by standing next to it, which is why I don’t think it should be too far of a stretch to ask for remote control of them at a terminal type structure. 
My hope is that not only would you be able to point it where you want, but you would be able to take actual control of it too. Things like this would be especially handy against demo guys and having a better chance to eliminate screamers without them calling backup.

2 hours ago, GuardianReaper0 said:

I realize mods will be an options for PC, I’m just trying to make sure good suggestions for the base game (and what console receives) don’t just get dismissed as “go get the mod” and the discussion dies there.

Yes you can control where the turret is pointed by standing next to it, which is why I don’t think it should be too far of a stretch to ask for remote control of them at a terminal type structure. 
My hope is that not only would you be able to point it where you want, but you would be able to take actual control of it too. Things like this would be especially handy against demo guys and having a better chance to eliminate screamers without them calling backup.

You can also shoot it, IIRC.  I haven't tested that in a very long time because it really is pointless because they are able to shoot faster and more accurately against targets than manually controlling them would (unless someone's just really fast).  And by the time you get to the controls - even on a monitor - the turret will already have done what was needed unless you happen to be standing right there at the time.