Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

This does NOT happen, which has to be a bug. I've had the setting turned off the entire time I found out about it (during the streamer weekend), and hundreds of times my character will run with only W pressed

Sounds like there's some bug as I've never had that problem.  You and two or three others have mentioned it (might be more; I wasn't counting) not turning off when stopping.  But so far, no one has given any details to help narrow down the problem.  Just "it doesn't work" posts.  Heh.  I think it was Jugginator who asked if people were using any key combinations while playing (like Shift-Tab for Steam overlay) or Shift-R for blocks and although one person replied that they didn't use those specific ones, they didn't say if they used others.  In the same way, I had asked if they might be using any utilities or software that might lock keys for accessibility or ease of use (Sticky Keys or similar) and they said they didn't use Sticky Keys but didn't comment on if they used anything else.  I don't think the devs will have a lot of luck finding the problem without someone giving a lot more details than have been given.  If you have anything you can add that might help, there's a thread in General Support about it that you could add to.

Here's how it works for me and how I am pretty sure it's supposed to work:

With the option disabled:

• Press W to move and you are walking.
  • While holding W, press Shift and you are sprinting or driving faster.
  • While holding W, tap Shift once (sometimes I have to tap it two or three times to get it to register, but it should be once) and sprint lock should enable (the sprint icon is next to your health and stamina just like when holding Shift), making you sprint without needing to hold Shift.
  • While sprinting with shift lock, let go of W and all other movement keys (A,S,D) and sprint lock will turn off.  Move again and you will be walking.

With the option enabled:

• While holding W, tap Shift once (sometimes I have to tap it two or three times to get it to register, but it should be once) and sprint lock should enable (the sprint icon is next to your health and stamina just like when holding Shift), making you sprint without needing to hold Shift.
  • While sprinting with shift lock, let go of W and all other movement keys (A,S,D) and sprint lock will not turn off.  Move again and you will still be sprinting.
  • If sprint lock is enabled, tap Shift once and it will disable sprint lock and you will be walking.

Anyhow, that's how it works for me every time (and for other people I personally know who play) and how I'm pretty sure it should work.  If it is not working that way, see if you can find any details that might help them figure out the problem.  You can give this same kind of example of what happens for you and that could also help them.  Things like what keyboard could help (keyboards can have accessibility options in the driver software that might be triggering).  They know of a bug with a couple Shift combinations (I forget which ones or if it was specifically related to sprint lock... it's mentioned in that thread in General Discussions), so giving any details on any key combinations you are or might be pressing, even accidentally.  For example, maybe you sometimes hit Shift-E instead of Shift-W to sprint forward.  So far, the details given have been almost non-existent, so anything you might provide could help.

Riamus

Riamus

5 hours ago, FranticDan said:

This does NOT happen, which has to be a bug. I've had the setting turned off the entire time I found out about it (during the streamer weekend), and hundreds of times my character will run with only W pressed

Sounds like there's some bug as I've never had that problem.  You and two or three others have mentioned it (might be more; I wasn't counting) not turning off when stopping.  But so far, no one has given any details to help narrow down the problem.  Just "it doesn't work" posts.  Heh.  I think it was Jugginator who asked if people were using any key combinations while playing (like Shift-Tab for Steam overlay) or Shift-R for blocks and although one person replied that they didn't use those specific ones, they didn't say if they used others.  In the same way, I had asked if they might be using any utilities or software that might lock keys for accessibility or ease of use (Sticky Keys or similar) and they said they didn't use Sticky Keys but didn't comment on if they used anything else.  I don't think the devs will have a lot of luck finding the problem without someone giving a lot more details than have been given.  If you have anything you can add that might help, there's a thread in General Support about it that you could add to.

Anyhow, here's how it works for me and how I am pretty sure it's supposed to work:

With the option disabled:

• While sprinting with shift lock, let go of W and all other movement keys (A,S,D) and sprint lock will turn off.  Move again and you will be walking.

With the option enabled:

• While sprinting with shift lock, let go of W and all other movement keys (A,S,D) and sprint lock will not turn off.  Move again and you will still be sprinting.
  • If sprint lock is enabled, tap Shift once and it will disable sprint lock and you will be walking.

Anyhow, that's how it works for me every time (and for other people I personally know who play) and how I'm pretty sure it should work.  If it is not working that way, see if you can find any details that might help them figure out the problem.  You can give this same kind of example of what happens for you and that could also help them.  Things like what keyboard could help (keyboards can have accessibility options in the driver software that might be triggering).  They know of a bug with a couple Shift combinations (I forget which ones or if it was specifically related to sprint lock... it's mentioned in that thread in General Discussions), so giving any details on any key combinations you are or might be pressing, even accidentally.  For example, maybe you sometimes hit Shift-E instead of Shift-W to sprint forward.  So far, the details given have been almost non-existent, so anything you might provide could help.