Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Krougal

Krougal

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Not all weapons have to be equally viable in every situation.  They are different for a reason... They offer options based on how you play or what situation you are in.  I won't use slow guns, including lever action rifles, because I don't like how slow they are, but that applies to all of the ones that are slow.  I'll mostly use rifles, especially the sniper rifle, during horde night, but I also stick to melee almost all of the time except when I need fast damage.  And if I need fast damage, I need something that can fire a lot of shots quickly.  If you don't like rifles, just use a different gun.

OP has a point though, if you want to go down the perception tree, the rifle and spear are your weapons. They forced this when they decided to make the perk lines as they are.

The game is just not designed around long range engagements or stealth. They are options sure, but they will never be optimal. This is coming from a guy who prefers both of those. Take a game like FO4, I could pick off all the mobs in town from a rooftop with my silenced 50 cal without ever being seen. Late game it was just 1 shot, 1 kill with the gauss rifle, even at close range.

Now if we had a more robust weapons modding system (like FO4) we could tailor the rifle to be more viable in different situations, like some people used a short stock rifle optimized for close range and low AP cost to take advantage of their rifleman skill and VATs for up close and personal fighting.

I'll sit up on an outside ledge on Dishong Tower and pop zeds on the ground with 8x sniper for fun, but it isn't exactly a productive use of time or ammo.

5 minutes ago, Misamor said:

Those who tell me "it's a different playstyle" are all missing the point. CQC weapons are balanced between each other: you're free to use the one closer to your playstyle because NO ONE is objectively better than the other. Sledgehammers are not better than fists even though their damage output is way bigger, because to compensate for their huge damage, they are way slower than fists, making their DPS basically equal at equivalent level/tier. This is not the case with the rifle, because its damage output is way too little to compensate for its slow rate of fire. Additionally, CQC weapons and most firearms allow you do deal with most of the game's challenges. With only a pistol for example: you can hunt, you can easily clear out a building... 

I get it. There really isn't an easy solution other than making the situations where it is the best weapon more frequent, but there really is no way to do that in 7DTD. Then people would complain the shotgun sucks because its range is too short.

I do agree about the pistol though. Silenced pistol with 2x scope and I can clear most any POI and get dinner.

Krougal

Krougal

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Not all weapons have to be equally viable in every situation.  They are different for a reason... They offer options based on how you play or what situation you are in.  I won't use slow guns, including lever action rifles, because I don't like how slow they are, but that applies to all of the ones that are slow.  I'll mostly use rifles, especially the sniper rifle, during horde night, but I also stick to melee almost all of the time except when I need fast damage.  And if I need fast damage, I need something that can fire a lot of shots quickly.  If you don't like rifles, just use a different gun.

OP has a point though, if you want to go down the perception tree, the rifle and spear are your weapons. They forced this when they decided to make the perk lines as they are.

The game is just not designed around long range engagements or stealth. They are options sure, but they will never be optimal. This is coming from a guy who prefers both of those. Take a game like FO4, I could pick off all the mobs in town from a rooftop with my silenced 50 cal without ever being seen. Late game it was just 1 shot, 1 kill with the gauss rifle, even at close range.

Now if we had a more robust weapons modding system (like FO4) we could tailor the rifle to be more viable in different situations, like some people used a short stock rifle optimized for close range and low AP cost to take advantage of their rifleman skill and VATs for up close and personal fighting.

I'll sit up on an outside ledge on Dishong Tower and pop zeds on the ground with 8x sniper for fun, but it isn't exactly a productive use of time or ammo.

2 minutes ago, Misamor said:

Those who tell me "it's a different playstyle" are all missing the point. CQC weapons are balanced between each other: you're free to use the one closer to your playstyle because NO ONE is objectively better than the other. Sledgehammers are not better than fists even though their damage output is way bigger, because to compensate for their huge damage, they are way slower than fists, making their DPS basically equal at equivalent level/tier. This is not the case with the rifle, because its damage output is way too little to compensate for its slow rate of fire. Additionally, CQC weapons and most firearms allow you do deal with most of the game's challenges. With only a pistol for example: you can hunt, you can easily clear out a building... 

I get it. There really isn't an easy solution other than making the situations where it is the best weapon more frequent, but there really is no way to do that in 7DTD. Then people would complain the shotgun sucks because its range is too short.

I do agree about the pistol though. Silenced pistol with 2x scope and I can clear most any POI.