Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
doughphunghus

doughphunghus

11 hours ago, theFlu said:

The unique point of this survival game is the voxel world; and I think it's being terribly underutilized.

I totally agree! Any thoughts on how to utilize it better? Personally i have had these:

- the underground is a massive waste of space most of the time. So "bring caves back" (or allow some cave generation option) as well as allow underground water or mini POis in these caves (like a camping area, etc). I liked caves, but without some nice decor/moss/surprises its a lot less fun. 

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game (usually its just your base falling). I think this is because the default stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it. My favorite is breaking a pane of glass causing lots of connected glass to break/fall. But sometimes its weird (loot a container and a metal block above it falls)

- similar to above, but with "underground things" like sand collapsing easier. Make digging underground be more if a challenge requiring some thoughtful supporting structures. The stability calcs are built into the game, lets use them and make underground be more dangerous to go into.

- more of big pois having deeper underground levels, and the "city/road parts" pois are put into having many tunnels that may or may not connect to them.

- i have heard some requests for "to be able to offset or have mini voxels" or whatever they are called so we are less limited in how blocks are placed, but i read on these forums this was a "no", but not sure who it was from.

- ability to use mods to attach random played Sounds to blocks. So we can make clocks creepily tick, stairs creak, metal groan, broken windows whistle, etc. spooky stuff. The game is very quiet when indoors and i feel it could use more ambient sounds, and if sounds were attached to blocks we could destroy and remove them if we wanted. For outside we could put bird sounds in trees, crickets in grass, etc. having the ability to trigger on fay/night and the weather would prob be needed. tFP has attached some "always playing" passive sounds to blocks (running fridges, big signs, a few lights) and it feels/sounds really nice, but its too few and far in between. We have millions? of voxels in a game, lets be allowed to easily liven things up!

doughphunghus

doughphunghus

The unique point of this survival game is the voxel world; and I think it's being terribly underutilized.

I totally agree! Any thoughts on how to utilize it better? Personally i have had these:

- the underground is a massive waste of space most of the time. So "bring caves back" (or allow some cave generation option) as well as allow underground water or mini POis in these caves (like a camping area, etc). I liked caves, but without some nice decor/moss/surprises its a lot less fun. 

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game (usually its just your base falling). I think this is because the default stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it. My favorite is breaking a pane of glass causing lots of connected glass to break/fall. But sometimes its weird (loot a container and a metal block above it falls)

- similar to above, but with "underground things" like sand collapsing easier. Make digging underground be more if a challenge requiring some thoughtful supporting structures. The stability calcs are built into the game, lets use them and make underground be more dangerous to go into.

- more of big pois having deeper underground levels, and the "city/road parts" pois are put into having many tunnels that may or may not connect to them.

- i have heard some requests for "to be able to offset or have mini voxels" or whatever they are called so we are less limited in how blocks are placed, but i read on these forums this was a "no", but not sure who it was from.

- ability to use mods to attach random played Sounds to blocks. So we can make clocks creepily tick, stairs creak, metal groan, broken windows whistle, etc. spooky stuff. The game is very quiet when indoors and i feel it could use more ambient sounds, and if sounds were attached to blocks we could destroy and remove them if we wanted. For outside we could put bird sounds in trees, crickets in grass, etc. having the ability to trigger on fay/night and the weather would prob be needed.

doughphunghus

doughphunghus

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game. I think this is because the stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it. My favorite is breaking a pane of glass causing lots of connected glass to break/fall. But sometimes its weird (loot a container and a metal block above it falls)

- ability to use mods to attach random played Sounds to blocks. So we can make clocks creepily tick, stairs creak, metal groan, broken windows whistle, etc. spooky stuff. The game is very quiet when indoors and i feel it could use more ambient sounds, and if sounds were attached to blocks we could destroy and remove them if we wanted. For outside we could put bird sounds in trees, crickets in grass, etc. having the ability to trigger on fay/night and the weather would prob be needed.

doughphunghus

doughphunghus

10 hours ago, theFlu said:

- the underground is a massive waste of space most of the time. So "bring caves back" (or allow some cave generation option) as well as allow underground water or mini POis in these caves (like a camping area, etc)

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game. I think this is because the stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it. My favorite is breaking a pane of glass causing lots of connected glass to break/fall. But sometimes its weird (loot a container and a metal block above it falls)

doughphunghus

doughphunghus

10 hours ago, theFlu said:

- the underground is a massive waste of space most of the time. So "bring caves back" (or allow some cave generation option) as well as allow underground water or mini POis in these caves (like a camping area, etc)

- the "block stability" being calculated for weight and "horizontal stability" is a really cool mechanic, but its rarely seen in action during a game. I think this is because the stability attached to blocks is way too high. I made a mod to drop these numbers significantly and (i feel) it  makes the voxel nature pop a little. 1. Because you have to be much more careful building and supporting your base 2. All POis were not designed for the lower numbers, which can lead to "easy collapsing" of parts of a poi when any changes are made to it (or looting a container) usually in ways that "look right" like old wood bridges collapsing, or a roof of a building falling down with you on it.