Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

On 6/27/2024 at 4:49 AM, jyd85224 said:

Baldurs gate 3 just came out and it has local coop, all Gears of war and borderlands all have local coop. Not going to say minecraft as that game is much more simple, but Ark is about as close as you can get to 7 days and it has local coop. The first dwarf coming out in 2025 has split screen.

If Ark had minecrafts fully destructible world then it would be a close comparison. if 7d2d had not upgraded its graphics that much it would have been more like minecraft and would have been "small" enough to fit into consoles with split-screen.

Fact is that 7d2d had to fight unique performance problems for all of the last ~7 years of development and needed a top rig all that time to run comfortably even though the graphics was at first far below anything released at that time. I bet no other game has that much disk traffic and no other game with such a graphic is that much CPU-bound as this one. Many people are underestimating how much it cost to make a fully destructible world instead of a static world.

Other games with fully destructible world had performance problems as well as soon as their graphics gets above a certain quality. Look at  Empyrion for example.

Though recently Enshrouded came out and it has a destructible world and a high graphics quality though I don't know how far down. They may have found optimizations and tricks to make it possible to get a performant fully destructible world, but it would probably be a monumental task to redesign 72d2 to use those techniques, even if they could be theoretically applied. My guess is that Enshrouded only creates a thin layer of destructible world on every accessible surface. The interesting question is whether it can dynamically enlarge the destructible part when someone digs down or not. The latter is probable, otherwise they would include the fully destructible world in their marketing. If the former, it would be theoretically a way for 7D2D to improve, but it would be a major rewrite in size similar to writing a new engine to get it in.

meganoth

meganoth

Baldurs gate 3 just came out and it has local coop, all Gears of war and borderlands all have local coop. Not going to say minecraft as that game is much more simple, but Ark is about as close as you can get to 7 days and it has local coop. The first dwarf coming out in 2025 has split screen.

If Ark had minecrafts fully destructible world then it would be a close comparison. if 7d2d had not upgraded its graphics that much it would have been more like minecraft and would have been "small" enough to fit into consoles with split-screen.

Fact is that 7d2d had to fight unique performance problems for all of the last ~7 years of development and needed a top rig all that time to run comfortably even though the graphics was at first far below anything released at that time. I bet no other game has that much disk traffic and no other game with such a graphic is that much CPU-bound as this one. Many people are underestimating how much it cost to make a fully destructible world instead of a static world.

Other games with fully destructible world had performance problems as well as soon as their graphics gets above a certain quality. Look at  Empyrion for example.

Though recently Enshrouded came out and it has destructible world and a high graphics quality though I don't know how far down. They may have found optimizations and tricks to make it possible to get a performant fully destructible world, but it would probably be a monumental task to redesign 72d2 to use those techniques, even if they could be theoretically applied. My guess is that Enshrouded only creates a thin layer of destructible world on every accessible surface. It would be a major rewrite to get something like that into the 7d2d engine, but maybe it would be worth it.

meganoth

meganoth

Other games with fully destructible world had performance problems as well as soon as their graphics gets above a certain quality. Look at  Empyrion for example. Though recently Enshrouded came out and it has destructible world and a high graphics quality though I don't know how far down. They may have found optimizations and tricks to make it possible to get a performant fully destructible world, but it would probably be a monumental task to redesign 72d2 to use those techniques, even if they could be theoretically applied. My guess is that Enshrouded only creates a thin layer of destructible world on every accessible surface. It would be a major rewrite to get something like that into the 7d2d engine, but maybe it would be worth it.

meganoth

meganoth

Another fact is that 7d2d had to fight unique performance problems for all of the last ~7 years of development and needed a top rig all that time to run comfortably even though the graphics was at first far below anything released at that time. I bet no other game has that much disk traffic and no other game with such a graphic is that much CPU-bound as this one. Many people are underestimating how much it cost to make a fully destructible world instead of a static world.

Other games with fully destructible world had performance problems as well as soon as their graphics gets above a certain quality. Look at  Empyrion for example. Though recently Enshrouded came out and it has destructible world and a high graphics quality though I don't know how far down. They may have found optimizations and tricks to make it possible to get a performant fully destructible world, but it would probably be a monumental task to redesign 72d2 to use those techniques, even if they could be theoretically applied. My guess is that Enshrouded only creates a thin layer of destructible world on every accessible surface. It would be a major rewrite to get something like that into the 7d2d engine, but maybe it would be worth it.