Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Stranded_Napkin

Stranded_Napkin

Typo on RAM

So, I've been a Windows user for most of my life. I hate Microsoft though and once again got tired of dealing with Windows's bugs. I've used various Linux distros on laptops and other systems. This is the first time that I'm running a distro for my daily driver/gaming pc.

I have noticed some issues with the various API's that the game runs on though. On Windows, I believe it ran on DirectX11. I could be wrong on the specific one, but that's what my overlay always stated. Everything appeared to run fine. On Linux, there's the OpenGL and Vulkan API's. I've had issues with each. OpenGL has issues with elemental effects. Fires don't show up so I've walked right into fire traps. Zombies that are electrified by the stun baton disappear and all I see are the electric effects. I tried the Vulkan API and the visuals were fixed. Fires show up just fine. Zombies don't disappear. The issue is multiplayer. When playing multiplayer, my performance has cratered. It typically runs at 100+ fps. I have a 144 Hz monitor so I try to keep the framerate up. After 20-30 minutes of playtime, the framerate will drop to 25 fps. 

I've run both the native version of 7 Days as well as the Windows version using Proton. With Proton, things ran fine, but launching the game was a pain as each and every time it launched, it redownloaded one of the redistributables. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on anything that might fix any of these issues.

Oh, for clarity, these are my systems specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700x

AMD Radeon 7900 XTX

32 GB DDR5 6000 RAM

Asus ROG Strix B650-A Gaming Wifi

Desktop: KDE Plasma

So, I've been a Windows user for most of my life. I hate Microsoft though and once again got tired of dealing with Windows's bugs. I've used various Linux distros on laptops and other systems. This is the first time that I'm running a distro for my daily driver/gaming pc.

I have noticed some issues with the various API's that the game runs on though. On Windows, I believe it ran on DirectX11. I could be wrong on the specific one, but that's what my overlay always stated. Everything appeared to run fine. On Linux, there's the OpenGL and Vulkan API's. I've had issues with each. OpenGL has issues with elemental effects. Fires don't show up so I've walked right into fire traps. Zombies that are electrified by the stun baton disappear and all I see are the electric effects. I tried the Vulkan API and the visuals were fixed. Fires show up just fine. Zombies don't disappear. The issue is multiplayer. When playing multiplayer, my performance has cratered. It typically runs at 100+ fps. I have a 144 Hz monitor so I try to keep the framerate up. After 20-30 minutes of playtime, the framerate will drop to 25 fps. 

I've run both the native version of 7 Days as well as the Windows version using Proton. With Proton, things ran fine, but launching the game was a pain as each and every time it launched, it redownloaded one of the redistributables. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on anything that might fix any of these issues.

Oh, for clarity, these are my systems specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700x

AMD Radeon 7900 XTX

32 GB GDDR5 6000 RAM

Asus ROG Strix B650-A Gaming Wifi

Desktop: KDE Plasma