Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Scyris

Scyris

On 7/21/2024 at 6:18 AM, meganoth said:

You are correct, many new players will do that. But everyone ticks differently and there are surely some who (after experiences with other games) think damage trumps everything else, and they will predominantly put points into their weapon.

Also if they don't read the information in the game carefully (like most new players, it was a known problem that new players don't read the journal) it will be just chance whether the perks they choose will have a magazine attached or not.

In other words, it will be just random whether new players get a balanced game or can craft a tier3 weapon early in game without knowing what happened and if they protest about the balance get accused of min-maxing

--------

Generally to the topic:

Now when we talk about veteran players and minmaxing, I agree with some here that it is a rather weak defense. Balancing usually should lead to lesser opportunities to min-max. By definition. At least according to wikipedia, which makes a fair try to define it, read the chapter about Meaningful Decisions

Yeah but the current stat system and learn by reading system basically forces you into certain stats if you wanna be able to make things. I'd care less if they'd decouple weapons from stats and make weapon/tools its own 6th stat that has headshot/dismember chance and all weapons and tools in it, quite a few of the perks are also in stats that make little sense for it to be there in the first place. If you ask me all melee weapons and tools should be in str, and all ranged weapons should be in perception. While the other perks in those lines get spread out to other stats.

Or just go with the 3 stat system I suggested, it'd be perfect and pretty much solve all the problems the current stat system has. Best thing is it'd be easy to implement since its just changing the stat names, and moving perks around in the xmls. Ideally though I want learn by doing for weapons and mining tools and have headshot/dismember chance govered by the action skill (as well as a damage bonus at certain breakpoints) as well as it governs what level of say pummel pete you can get.

I don't know about you, but its extremly annoying having to spend points in a stat when you only want ONE perk in that stat line, its basically a waste of skill points at that point. ANother way to fix it, is have the player gain stat points, as well as skill points every level, each stat takes X stat points to raise by 1. Once you max out all the stats by lv 100+ you can turn say, a few stat points into a skill point.

Scyris

Scyris

On 7/21/2024 at 6:18 AM, meganoth said:

You are correct, many new players will do that. But everyone ticks differently and there are surely some who (after experiences with other games) think damage trumps everything else, and they will predominantly put points into their weapon.

Also if they don't read the information in the game carefully (like most new players, it was a known problem that new players don't read the journal) it will be just chance whether the perks they choose will have a magazine attached or not.

In other words, it will be just random whether new players get a balanced game or can craft a tier3 weapon early in game without knowing what happened and if they protest about the balance get accused of min-maxing

--------

Generally to the topic:

Now when we talk about veteran players and minmaxing, I agree with some here that it is a rather weak defense. Balancing usually should lead to lesser opportunities to min-max. By definition. At least according to wikipedia, which makes a fair try to define it, read the chapter about Meaningful Decisions

Yeah but the current stat system and learn by reading system basically forces you into certain stats if you wanna be able to make things. I'd care less if they'd decouple weapons from stats and make weapon/tools its own 6th stat that has headshot/dismember chance and all weapons and tools in it, quite a few of the perks are also in stats that make little sense for it to be there in the first place. If you ask me all melee weapons and tools should be in str, and all ranged weapons should be in perception. While the other perks in those lines get spread out to other stats.