Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

8 hours ago, Whorhay said:

I think everyone min maxes to some degree unless they are deliberately trying to not do so. What I was saying is that I doubt that most new players would restrict their skill point spend to a single attribute and a single weapon perk within that attribute. And then farm quests to such a degree that they will max out that weapon's magazine rank in a week or two. There is a lot more to the game than just killing zombies efficiently, and the temptation to spend points elsewhere for more utility, I would wager, causes points to be more spread.

You are correct, many new players will do that. But everyone ticks differently and there are surely some who (after experiences with other games) think damage trumps everything else, and they will predominantly put points into their weapon.

Also if they don't read the information in the game carefully (like most new players, it was a known problem that new players don't read the journal) it will be just chance whether the perks they choose will have a magazine attached or not.

In other words, it will be just random whether new players get a balanced game or can craft a tier3 weapon early in game without knowing what happened and if they protest about the balance get accused of min-maxing

--------

Generally to the topic:

Now when we talk about veteran players and minmaxing, I agree with some here that it is a rather weak defense. Balancing usually should lead to lesser opportunities to min-max. By definition. At least according to wikipedia, which makes a fair try to define it, read the chapter about Meaningful Decisions

meganoth

meganoth

I think everyone min maxes to some degree unless they are deliberately trying to not do so. What I was saying is that I doubt that most new players would restrict their skill point spend to a single attribute and a single weapon perk within that attribute. And then farm quests to such a degree that they will max out that weapon's magazine rank in a week or two. There is a lot more to the game than just killing zombies efficiently, and the temptation to spend points elsewhere for more utility, I would wager, causes points to be more spread.

You are correct, many new players will do that. But everyone ticks differently and there are surely some who (after experiences with other games) think damage trumps everything else, and they will predominantly put points into their weapon.

Also if they don't read the information in the game carefully (like most new players, it was a known problem that new players don't read the journal) it will be just chance whether the perks they choose will have a magazine attached or not.

In other words, it will be just random whether new players get a balanced game or can craft a tier3 weapon early in game without knowing what happened and if they protest about the balance get accused of min-maxing

Now when we talk about veteran players and minmaxing, I agree with some here that it is a rather weak defense:

Balancing usually should lead to lesser opportunities to min-max. By definition. At least according to wikipedia, which makes a fair try to define it, read the chapter about Meaningful Decisions

meganoth

meganoth