Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

12 hours ago, Joey9Baka said:

I brought up real life as comparison as it sets player's expectations, players expect games to become easier in co op than in singleplayer.

Ok, a valid point. Though I see in almost every game with SP and MP play that the game tries to level the field, in most games enemies are simply harder or have at least more hit points if you go into a dungeon as a group. Ask any game designer and he will tell you that he would try to make a game so that a group has the same challenge as a single player.

The optimal case should be a balanced game no matter with how many players you play it. Why should I be bored to death in co-op because the game wants a challenge in single-player or vice-versa? Most players want some difficulty so they feel the satisfaction of having survived combat. Only a subset of players is happy with a game without challenge.

I know veterans like yourself and others understand and adapt to any change TFP do and therefore don't really see any change as truly detrimental because it can't stop you, but I'm trying to tell you the perspective of more average folk you'll be bringing in with 1.0 and console releases.

Ok. But have more average folk the knowledge to increase difficulty just because they play as a group? Don't they expect to have a challenging but managable experience no matter how many they are when they start with default difficulty?

Balancing the game around only how pros play in elite coop teams will only alienate the new players you'll be getting further.

At the absolute least this should be a configurable option (with shared progress probably being default) so the players themselves can decide if they want co op progress to be slower than solo progress. Again I know mods will fix this and players like me will just do that. But the new console players will be unable to do this and will instead just complain and leave negative reviews.

Don't worry about this setting. In every alpha before the experimental started like half a souls game in difficulty, every veteran player was happy and novice players were complaining. Then with every new experimental version the "worst" settings got toned down after people posted their feedback. I am just astonished how many players, even veteran players, don't even try pout the new settings but think they can evaluate the new alpha with just by thinking about it for a few minutes.

I might guess that the new setting we are discussing about is going too far, but I have no doubt that the general setting in A21 was too good for co-op players as well. Probably some middle ground is applicable and I at least have to play for a much longer time to know how far that setting has to go back or if it has to be replaced by something else entirely.

I'm sorry you clearly deal with rude or aggressive people very often yelling at you (As most moderators of long running games do). I am not one of them.

I am sorry if I sounded too harsh. Like you I am interested in polite discussion but sometimes my sentences miss the polite fluff words 😁

meganoth

meganoth

I brought up real life as comparison as it sets player's expectations, players expect games to become easier in co op than in singleplayer.

Ok, a valid point. Though I see in almost every game with SP and MP play that the game tries to level the field, in most games enemies are simply harder or have at least more hit points if you go into a dungeon as a group. Ask any game designer and he will tell you that he would try to make a game so that a group has the same challenge as a single player.

The optimal case should be a balanced game no matter with how many players you play it. Why should I be bored to death in co-op because the game wants a challenge in single-player or vice-versa? Most players want some difficulty so they feel the satisfaction of having survived combat. Only a subset of players is happy with a game without challenge.

I know veterans like yourself and others understand and adapt to any change TFP do and therefore don't really see any change as truly detrimental because it can't stop you, but I'm trying to tell you the perspective of more average folk you'll be bringing in with 1.0 and console releases.

Ok. But have more average folk the knowledge to increase difficulty just because they play as a group? Don't they expect to have a challenging but managable experience no matter how many they are when they start with default difficulty?

Balancing the game around only how pros play in elite coop teams will only alienate the new players you'll be getting further.

At the absolute least this should be a configurable option (with shared progress probably being default) so the players themselves can decide if they want co op progress to be slower than solo progress. Again I know mods will fix this and players like me will just do that. But the new console players will be unable to do this and will instead just complain and leave negative reviews.

Don't worry about this setting. In every alpha before the experimental started like half a souls game in difficulty, every veteran player was happy and novice players were complaining. Then with every new experimental version the "worst" settings got toned down after people posted their feedback. I am just astonished how many players, even veteran players, don't even try pout the new settings but think they can evaluate the new alpha with just by thinking about it for a few minutes.

I might guess that the new setting we are discussing about is going too far, but I have no doubt that the general setting in A21 was too good for co-op players as well. Probably some middle ground is applicable and I at least have to play for a much longer time to know how far that setting has to go back or if it has to be replaced by something else entirely.

I'm sorry you clearly deal with rude or aggressive people very often yelling at you (As most moderators of long running games do). I am not one of them.

I am sorry if I sounded too harsh. I am interested in polite discussion just like you.

meganoth

meganoth

I am sorry if I sounded too harsh. Your post has nothing I woulI'm sorry you clearly deal with rude or aggressive people very often yelling at you (As most moderators of long running games do). I am interested in polite discussion just like you.