Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Unamelable

Unamelable

9 minutes ago, zztong said:

Perhaps, but I hope not. If it can handle dependencies and correct installation, it will take some of the support load off of the modders. It would also mean people don't have to search 3 websites and the forums to find the mods.

I disagree with this opinion. The TFP development practices and slow prototyping approach is working well. Mods will always have the advantage of scratching an itch and making something better for whoever installed it, but there will always be people -- a majority of people -- who don't install that mod because it wasn't an issue to them. I would argue modders aren't attracted to bad games; they're attracted to good ones.

This game has a foundation that has been unironically made easy to mod. Plus the game has for very many years had a real sandbox where everything can be broken, and taken apart for resources. That works fine. And hopefully the hands of TFP won't change what worked. Like water, for example.

If a game has a very horrible list of customization options when creating a world, then that's one serious problem. Again, I wrote a couple things in my post about missing things in the UI that can be easily changed via mods that change files in the /config folder. As a player who originally logged into the game, I play vanilla. And after sorting out all the mechanics I want to cry)))

I'll take Unturned and Project Zomboid again as a comparison. Both are in the same sandbox setting mechanics. They have 5-7 times more settings than in 7DTD if you don't count manual editing in /config folder.

Unamelable

Unamelable

7 minutes ago, zztong said:

Perhaps, but I hope not. If it can handle dependencies and correct installation, it will take some of the support load off of the modders. It would also mean people don't have to search 3 websites and the forums to find the mods.

I disagree with this opinion. The TFP development practices and slow prototyping approach is working well. Mods will always have the advantage of scratching an itch and making something better for whoever installed it, but there will always be people -- a majority of people -- who don't install that mod because it wasn't an issue to them. I would argue modders aren't attracted to bad games; they're attracted to good ones.

This game has a foundation that has been unironically made easy to mod. Plus the game has for very many years had a real sandbox where everything can be broken, and taken apart for resources. That works fine. And hopefully the hands of TFP won't change what worked. Like water, for example.

If a game has a very horrible list of customization options when creating a world, then that's one serious problem. Again, I wrote a couple things in my post about missing things in the UI that can be easily changed via mods that change files in the /config folder. As a player who originally logged into the game, I play vanilla. And after sorting out all the mechanics I want to cry)))

Unamelable

Unamelable

3 minutes ago, zztong said:

This game has a foundation that has been unironically made modular. Plus the game has for very many years had a real sandbox where everything can be broken, and taken apart for resources. That works fine. And hopefully the hands of TFP won't change what worked. Like water, for example.