Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
6 hours ago, Roland said:

In any co-op game that is designed around specialization within a team there will also be an aspect of negotiation between those team members on who is going to specialize on what. If you don't like to negotiate what your designated play style will be to help the team then don't play a team-focused game. Figuring out who is going to play which role at the very beginning is critical so that everyone can focus on progressing the specific skills they need for their chosen play style. There is no barrier to what you can choose other than what you can agree upon with your friends and I wouldn't call that a useless barrier. It is emergent gameplay at its finest. The game doesn't force any negotiation scripts upon players or even gray out choices once each player decides what they will do. The rules of negotiating roles is 100% determined by....wait for it....cooperation of the team.  The game only sets the stage for a group of friends to hammer out the details of what they are going to do together and what each member's responsibilities will be. I can't imagine a better position for a co-op multiplayer game to place itself in. Its part of why my group enjoys the game so much-- particularly on subsequent playthroughs where we all want to try roles we didn't play the last time. It provides extremely powerful replay value.

I like the asymmetrical design of it. If everything was equally expensive no matter what tree you chose then people wouldn't play the game in all its variety. They would always take the most optimal skills and quickly tire of the game. I'm glad that this game simply makes going cross-attribute more expensive rather than impossible like some games do. It seems like you just don't like the expense and how long it takes to be able to afford all the skills you want that reside in different attribute branches. The answer is going to have to be to mod or use the giveselfxp command or change the xp earning settings to gain skill points faster and mitigate the costs you don't enjoy.

I do think it would be cool if there were a tool that made the perk trees modular so you could easily rearrange perks and put them in different trees--gather the ones you like together into a single branch and then when you started that game the perks would be rearranged in the manner you desired. That could be fun to experiment with.

Did you read what i wrote? 16 points per 1 branch, that's what kills the versatility of the tree. And is an unnecessary limiter at worst. The game has 5 skill trees where "drum roll" you need 80 skill points to be able to pump skills to the highest level. I can still accept that the player could use the style of two skill trees. But not having at least any way to discount their spending is weird.

For example a player spends 32 points on 2 skill trees. Then he will have to spend 13 instead of 16 points, after the third tree 10, on the last tree also 10. In this case, you can set up a system of pumping so that players do not frustrate halfway through the game because they can not take specific skills from different skill trees.

In this case we instead of 80 points (it is equivalent to 80 levels). We reduce it to 65. Of course it will be hard to unlock other skills as usual. but at least it won't be artificially stretched to that. Because it will at least be possible. Of course you can play up to level 150 in the game, but I think by that point you'll be sick of playing 7DTD.

I can agree that players can create an "uber-mega meta build" where they can take all the essentials and play with it because, it has all the best qualities. And then there is no point in taking other skills unless you have extra skill-points.

It would be logical if in the world creation menu you could put a personal number of skill points, because this number is easily modifiable in the config files of the game. Moreover, I can give the example of Unturned where you can modify literally all the settings of the game, when the same 7DTD has a limited pool of world settings, which can be changed as you want manually.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

In any co-op game that is designed around specialization within a team there will also be an aspect of negotiation between those team members on who is going to specialize on what. If you don't like to negotiate what your designated play style will be to help the team then don't play a team-focused game. Figuring out who is going to play which role at the very beginning is critical so that everyone can focus on progressing the specific skills they need for their chosen play style. There is no barrier to what you can choose other than what you can agree upon with your friends and I wouldn't call that a useless barrier. It is emergent gameplay at its finest. The game doesn't force any negotiation scripts upon players or even gray out choices once each player decides what they will do. The rules of negotiating roles is 100% determined by....wait for it....cooperation of the team.  The game only sets the stage for a group of friends to hammer out the details of what they are going to do together and what each member's responsibilities will be. I can't imagine a better position for a co-op multiplayer game to place itself in. Its part of why my group enjoys the game so much-- particularly on subsequent playthroughs where we all want to try roles we didn't play the last time. It provides extremely powerful replay value.

I like the asymmetrical design of it. If everything was equally expensive no matter what tree you chose then people wouldn't play the game in all its variety. They would always take the most optimal skills and quickly tire of the game. I'm glad that this game simply makes going cross-attribute more expensive rather than impossible like some games do. It seems like you just don't like the expense and how long it takes to be able to afford all the skills you want that reside in different attribute branches. The answer is going to have to be to mod or use the giveselfxp command or change the xp earning settings to gain skill points faster and mitigate the costs you don't enjoy.

I do think it would be cool if there were a tool that made the perk trees modular so you could easily rearrange perks and put them in different trees--gather the ones you like together into a single branch and then when you started that game the perks would be rearranged in the manner you desired. That could be fun to experiment with.

Did you read what you wrote? 16 points per 1 branch, that's what kills the versatility of the tree. And is an unnecessary limiter at worst. The game has 5 skill trees where "drum roll" you need 80 skill points to be able to pump skills to the highest level. I can still accept that the player could use the style of two skill trees. But not having at least any way to discount their spending is weird.

For example a player spends 32 points on 2 skill trees. Then he will have to spend 13 instead of 16 points, after the third tree 10, on the last tree also 10. In this case, you can set up a system of pumping so that players do not frustrate halfway through the game because they can not take specific skills from different skill trees.

In this case we instead of 80 points (it is equivalent to 80 levels). We reduce it to 65. Of course it will be hard to unlock other skills as usual. but at least it won't be artificially stretched to that. Because it will at least be possible. Of course you can play up to level 150 in the game, but I think by that point you'll be sick of playing 7DTD.

I can agree that players can create an "uber-mega meta build" where they can take all the essentials and play with it because, it has all the best qualities. And then there is no point in taking other skills unless you have extra skill-points.

It would be logical if in the world creation menu you could put a personal number of skill points, because this number is easily modifiable in the config files of the game. Moreover, I can give the example of Unturned where you can modify literally all the settings of the game, when the same 7DTD has a limited pool of world settings, which can be changed as you want manually.