Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

16 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Just getting around to this.

I've been putting my mods in a "Mods" folder in the actual Steam directory, with the launcher, .exe, etc. This has worked just fine.

When I watched the video it mentioned you're actually supposed to put the "Mods" folder in the appdata (along with the saves, etc.)(nobody told me!), but I guess the old method still worked? Anyway, I'm looking to have multiple installs now for different mod setups, so if I just move the whole Mods folder over to appdata from the game's Steam folder, will it break any existing games?

Also, how do I even tell if a mod won't work from the appdata folder? All my mods except one minor one are updated for A21, so I think they're probably fine, but it would be good to know for future reference.

Moving the mods to another folder will not break anything as long as the folder is detected by the game.  The default appdata location should be fine unless you've set your User Date Folder location to somewhere else.  I'd recommend creating a new game to verify your mods are loaded before loading an existing save because if something isn't working with your mods and you load into an existing save, you may break the save.

The location you have your mods/saves/etc. really doesn't matter.  They recommend not using the game folder mainly because Microsoft doesn't want you to use it.  I have all of that on a separate drive rather than in appdata because my C drive is not large.

You can tell if a mod has a problem by looking at the log file after loading the game.  Near the top, you'll see the information where it's loading the mods and it'll say whether it was successful or if there were any problems for each mod.  Of course, this doesn't mean the mod works correctly.  The mod could have something wrong with it still.  But it does mean the mod is loaded.  For example, if the mod adds a new craftable item to the game but they forgot to add a recipe to the mod, the mod will load fine but you won't be able to craft the item.  But that's not really what you were asking.  :)

Note: I will add that certain things expect your mods in a specific place.  I think at least one of the overhaul mods needs things to be in a specific location and I think at least one of the mod managers requires it as well.  But for pretty much anything else, as long as they are in your User Data Folder location (default being in appdata) or else in the game directory, they'll work.

Riamus

Riamus

16 hours ago, FramFramson said:

Just getting around to this.

I've been putting my mods in a "Mods" folder in the actual Steam directory, with the launcher, .exe, etc. This has worked just fine.

When I watched the video it mentioned you're actually supposed to put the "Mods" folder in the appdata (along with the saves, etc.)(nobody told me!), but I guess the old method still worked? Anyway, I'm looking to have multiple installs now for different mod setups, so if I just move the whole Mods folder over to appdata from the game's Steam folder, will it break any existing games?

Also, how do I even tell if a mod won't work from the appdata folder? All my mods except one minor one are updated for A21, so I think they're probably fine, but it would be good to know for future reference.

Moving the mods to another folder will not break anything as long as the folder is detected by the game.  The default appdata location should be fine unless you've set your User Date Folder location to somewhere else.  I'd recommend creating a new game to verify your mods are loaded before loading an existing save because if something isn't working with your mods and you load into an existing save, you may break the save.

The location you have your mods/saves/etc. really doesn't matter.  They recommend not using the game folder mainly because Microsoft doesn't want you to use it.  I have all of that on a separate drive rather than in appdata because my C drive is not large.

You can tell if a mod has a problem by looking at the log file after loading the game.  Near the top, you'll see the information where it's loading the mods and it'll say whether it was successful or if there were any problems for each mod.  Of course, this doesn't mean the mod works correctly.  The mod could have something wrong with it still.  But it does mean the mod is loaded.  For example, if the mod adds a new craftable item to the game but they forgot to add a recipe to the mod, the mod will load fine but you won't be able to craft the item.  But that's not really what you were asking.  :)