Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

49 minutes ago, warmer said:

Most people I know play on a 6 or 8km map, if you are running the map edge of a 10km map you are at end game and likely bored with anything under tier 5 anyway lol

That all depends on where you spawn.  You can, of course, require spawning at the center of the map, but I have found that the way cities are placed can make the center not desirable.  Not to mention, there could easily be a lake there.  But that doesn't mean you couldn't tailor a map to work with that kind of design in mind.

Still, I don't believe you can make a fully tiled town that doesn't include tier 1 and tier 2 POI without having a lot of spaces.  I haven't really looked into that and so may be wrong, but it is unlikely that you could do it with pure vanilla POI and tiles.  Few tiles are designed for only high tier POI.  I'm not sure how many tier 3 or 4 POI are 25x25 and doubt there are any tier 5 that size.  Even 42x42 might have very limited numbers after you get past tier 3, so you're still looking at a lot of repetition and blank spots even at the 3-4km range.

You could probably make it work with a 6k map but it wouldn't really feel different except that you won't have tier 5 in the middle and no tier 1 on the outside edge.  Tier 4 would also not be in the very center.  But on such a small map, you might not even notice the difference because you're rarely right at 0,0 anyhow and are probably building a base out near the 1-2km mark, so you'll have most things around you on that size map.

An 8k map would make it more noticeable but you'll really start getting duplication and missing spaces in towns, and anything larger will get even worse.  I'm not saying you couldn't make an attempt to create such a map, but I think you'll quickly find it isn't going to work as well as you think.  But that's just a guess based on vanilla tiles and POI that are available.  If you were to use a lot of custom POI and there were enough high tier POI and you had custom tiles that would work for such a design, then it could possibly work.

Riamus

Riamus

38 minutes ago, warmer said:

Most people I know play on a 6 or 8km map, if you are running the map edge of a 10km map you are at end game and likely bored with anything under tier 5 anyway lol

That all depends on where you spawn.  You can, of course, require spawning at the center of the map, but I have found that they way cities are placed can make the center not desirable.  Not to mention, there could easily be a lake there.  But that doesn't mean you couldn't tailor a map to work with that kind of design in mind.

Still, I don't believe you can make a fully tiled town that doesn't include tier 1 and tier 2 POI without having a lot of spaces.  I haven't really looked into that and so may be wrong, but it is unlikely that you could do it with pure vanilla POI and tiles.  Few tiles are designed for only high tier POI.  I'm not sure how many tier 3 or 4 POI are 25x25 and doubt there are any tier 5 that size.  Even 42x42 might have very limited numbers after you get past tier 3, so you're still looking at a lot of repetition and blank spots even at the 3-4km range.

You could probably make it work with a 6k map but it wouldn't really feel different except that you won't have tier 5 in the middle and no tier 1 on the outside edge.  Tier 4 would also not be in the very center.  But on such a small map, you might not even notice the difference because you're rarely right at 0,0 anyhow and are probably building a base out near the 1-2km mark, so you'll have most things around you on that size map.

An 8k map would make it more noticeable but you'll really start getting duplication and missing spaces in towns, and anything larger will get even worse.  I'm not saying you couldn't make an attempt to create such a map, but I think you'll quickly find it isn't going to work as well as you think.  But that's just a guess based on vanilla tiles and POI that are available.  If you were to use a lot of custom POI and there were enough high tier POI and you had custom tiles that would work for such a design, then it could possibly work.