Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
SylenThunder

SylenThunder

14 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This is not a question, this is a statement. I have substantial proof from the researched game source that there are infact places which make absolutely no sense (for example drowning buff checks on zombies in the game update loop etc)

Now with the respect to the devs, there were already attempts to optimize the performance (TickEntitiesSlice), however, this approach will eventually fail (because you still have to eventually process all the entities on the game thread)
You could also try to even lower the workload so you would slice limited number of entities (5 entities frame 1, 5 other frame 2)
This will, however, worsen the visual output. Relying on gamethread only is just not feasible. And this is why threading should be used.
Buying a new CPU just because it has 2 more GHz just so it catches up to the terribly optimized gamethread is just not a solution, but an excuse.

There are also places which are not dependant on the game framerate (for example camera movement is framerate dependant, management of environmental events such as AI perception is NOT)

So what I would like to conclude is that the developers/moderators should NOT tell their players to "buzz off and buy better hardware" when you can very easily utilize the already used hardware which supports multithreading.

Take your "proof" and submit a proper bug report. 

It doesn't make my statement any less true, or wrong. You would not believe the number of people I have assisted who thought just throwing a better GPU at the problem would solve it. Sure that will work for other games, but not this one. I will also note that I have chided the developers a number of times for the overly vague hardware requirements. I even recently submitted a suggestion with details.

And by the way, if you studied your proof, you would realize that the game already makes use of multithreading. However the core process is still tied to a single CPU, and child tasks are able to be sent to other threads. Unlike most other games that do not utilize multithreading at all. The engine needs to support further separation of the main process to multiple threads for the team to be able to utilize a tactic like that further.

Again, this is not a discussion for this thread. Bring it up in the proper channels, and stop talking about it here. If your performance is really that bad on something better than a GTX 1060 6GB card, then you have other issues preventing the game from performing well. I have actual proof of this, and it has been presented already.

SylenThunder

SylenThunder

14 hours ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

This is not a question, this is a statement. I have substantial proof from the researched game source that there are infact places which make absolutely no sense (for example drowning buff checks on zombies in the game update loop etc)

Now with the respect to the devs, there were already attempts to optimize the performance (TickEntitiesSlice), however, this approach will eventually fail (because you still have to eventually process all the entities on the game thread)
You could also try to even lower the workload so you would slice limited number of entities (5 entities frame 1, 5 other frame 2)
This will, however, worsen the visual output. Relying on gamethread only is just not feasible. And this is why threading should be used.
Buying a new CPU just because it has 2 more GHz just so it catches up to the terribly optimized gamethread is just not a solution, but an excuse.

There are also places which are not dependant on the game framerate (for example camera movement is framerate dependant, management of environmental events such as AI perception is NOT)

So what I would like to conclude is that the developers/moderators should NOT tell their players to "buzz off and buy better hardware" when you can very easily utilize the already used hardware which supports multithreading.

Take your "proof" and submit a proper bug report. 

It doesn't make my statement any less true, or wrong. You would not believe the number of people I have assisted who thought just throwing a better GPU at the problem would solve it. Sure that will work for other games, but not this one. I will also note that I have chided the developers a number of times for the overly vague hardware requirements. I even recently submitted a suggestion with details.

And by the way, if you studied your proof, you would realize that the game already make use of multithreading. However the core process is still tied to a single CPU, and child tasks are able to be sent to other threads. Unlike most other games that do not utilize multithreading at all. The engine needs to support further separation of the main process to multiple threads for the team to be able to utilize a tactic like that further.

Again, this is not a discussion for this thread. Bring it up in the proper channels, and stop talking about it here. If your performance is really that bad on something better than a GTX 1060 6GB card, then you have other issues preventing the game from performing well. I have actual proof of this, and it has been presented already.