Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

Not sure the fence posts have any influence in your jump. There is a good chance a fence has a very simple rectangular collision box.

I could see it. Fence posts are a different block that will be set in a different "square." It would be rotated within the square to be flush with the fence boards block which is also rotated to be flush with the fence post. It will be a boundary between two squares, which might also mean the terrain might be slightly different heights on either side of the fence. It could be jumping from low side to high side messes with our visual estimates of distance and the height to clear.

IIRC, a fence post is 1/8th of a block. Maybe I'm nuts and it's 1/10th or 1/16th. It would be a "pole" block on the creative menu, IIRC.

11 hours ago, FranticDan said:

"Is there specific code that tells the game to keep the players feet firmly on the ground and cost 20 stamina when attempting specific jumps?".
I'm going to assume that no such code exists. Although, actually getting an official answer to this question would be great!

That does seem unlikely as something intentionally coded. A combination of circumstances resulting in that outcome could perhaps be a bug, but I'm not sure what those circumstances would be. My first thought would be some kind of keyboard input oddity. I assume a MOUSE DOWN event triggers a jump. Could you get something weird with an immediately following MOUSE UP and another MOUSE DOWN, maybe? I could trigger something like that using AutoHotkey. Maybe a keyboard can be made to do something like that on a partial press?

FranticDan, I assume you're just using a keyboard an no other software.

10 hours ago, FranticDan said:

I have to ask, did you watch at 25% speed?
And are we even talking about the same jump attempt? (This all happens very quickly and is easy to miss)

He's right, it does happen very quickly and I needed 25% speed and three different viewing sessions to zero in on that point. I don't know what to conclude. Too close the fence? Maybe. Some minor depression in the terrain? Maybe. I don't recall looking for a post or even which side of the fence the posts are on. Perhaps a combination of all three?

zztong

zztong

Not sure the fence posts have any influence in your jump. There is a good chance a fence has a very simple rectangular collision box.

I could see it. Fence posts are a different block that will be set in a different "square." It would be rotated within the square to be flush with the fence boards block which is also rotated to be flush with the fence post. It will be a boundary between two squares, which might also mean the terrain might be slightly different heights on either side of the fence. It could be jumping from low side to high side messes with our visual estimates of distance and the height to clear.

IIRC, a fence post is 1/8th of a block. Maybe I'm nuts and it's 1/10th or 1/16th. It would be a "pole" block on the creative menu, IIRC.

"Is there specific code that tells the game to keep the players feet firmly on the ground and cost 20 stamina when attempting specific jumps?".
I'm going to assume that no such code exists. Although, actually getting an official answer to this question would be great!

That does seem unlikely as something intentionally coded. A combination of circumstances resulting in that outcome could perhaps be a bug, but I'm not sure what those circumstances would be. My first thought would be some kind of keyboard input oddity. I assume a MOUSE DOWN event triggers a jump. Could you get something weird with an immediately following MOUSE UP and another MOUSE DOWN, maybe? I could trigger something like that using AutoHotkey. Maybe a keyboard can be made to do something like that on a partial press?

And are we even talking about the same jump attempt? (This all happens very quickly and is easy to miss)

He's right, it does happen very quickly and I needed 25% speed and three different viewing sessions to zero in on that point. I don't know what to conclude. To close the fence? Maybe. Some minor depression in the terrain? Maybe. I don't recall looking for a post or even which side of the fence the posts are on. Perhaps a combination of all three?

zztong

zztong

I could see it. Fence posts are a different block that will be set in a different "square." It would be rotated within the square to be flush with the fence boards block which is also rotated to be flush with the fence post. It will be a boundary between two squares, which might also mean the terrain might be slightly different heights on either side of the fence. It could be jumping from low side to high side messes with our estimates of distance.

He's right, it does happen very quickly and I needed 25% speed and three different viewing sessions to zero in on that point. I don't know what to conclude. To close the fence? Maybe. Some minor depression in the terrain? Maybe. I don't recall looking for a post or even which side of the fence the posts are on. Perhaps a combination of all three?

zztong

zztong

I could see it. Fence posts are a different block that will be set in a different "square." It would be rotated within the square to be flush with the fence boards block which is also rotated to be flush with the fence post.

zztong

zztong

I could see it. Fence posts are a different block that will be set in a different "square." It would be rotated within the square to be flush with the fence boards block which is also rotated to be flush with the fence post.

IIRC, a fence post is 1/8th of a block.

9 hours ago, FranticDan said: