Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

18 hours ago, FranticDan said:

This is the very moment I attempted to jump the fence, approx 50cm away from the fence, which apparently is too close to get your feet off the ground.

image.png.2ddc0e3fed642ef650dcd7487b6ecf17.png

It looks to me like you are too close to the fence (if I compare it to my memorized idea of when to jump in 7d2d). Jumping while running surely follows a physically correct "ballistic trajectory". If you can run relatively fast compared to the upwards speed of the jump the curve will need more like a meter or more to reach the highest point of that curve. 

Even worse in the wilderness where a little unevenness of the ground could mean you are slightly lower than base height of the fence.

You are trying to increase the jump distance to the fence by approaching in a steep angle. This helps, but in the game you and the obstacle may have slightly bigger collision boxes than the visible frame so you could hit the fence earlier than expected as well. Also the collision boxes may be simply rectangular boxes that don't follow your frame closely everywhere. This could contribute further to the effect that jumping at a steep angle is not as effective as it should be.

A failed jump just stops your jump, which seems unnatural because in reality you would topple over the fence and falling on your face which isn't implemented in the game.

And here is a video of me disproving that this "hopping" is a feature - 

What I would have expected. If you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

Also it shows that the fence is high enough that you are only marginally clearing it (as you seem to often hit the top of the fence) which means the window of distance where the jump works is quite narrow.

meganoth

meganoth

This is the very moment I attempted to jump the fence, approx 50cm away from the fence, which apparently is too close to get your feet off the ground.

It looks to me like you are too close to the fence (if I compare it to my memorized idea of when to jump in 7d2d). Jumping while running surely follows a physically correct "ballistic trajectory". If you can run relatively fast compared to the upwards speed of the jump the curve will need more like a meter or more to reach the highest point of that curve. 

Even worse in the wilderness where a little unevenness of the ground could mean you are slightly lower than base height of the fence.

You are trying to increase the jump distance to the fence by approaching in a steep angle. This helps, but in the game you and the obstacle may have slightly bigger collision boxes than the visible frame so you could hit the fence earlier than expected as well. Also the collision boxes may be simply rectangular boxes that don't follow your frame closely everywhere. This could contribute further to the effect that jumping at a steep angle is not as effective as it should be.

A failed jump just stops your jump, which seems unnatural because in reality you would topple over the fence and falling on your face which isn't implemented in the game.

What I would have expected. For example that if you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

Also it shows that the fence is high enough that you are only marginally clearing it (as you seem to often hit the top of the fence) which means the window of distance where the jump works is quite narrow.

meganoth

meganoth

What are you trying to prove exactly? All I am seeing is what I would have expected. For example that if you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

meganoth

meganoth

It looks to me like you are too close to the fence (if I compare it to my memorized idea of when to jump in 7d2d). Jumping while running surely follows a physically correct "ballistic trajectory". If you can run relatively fast compared to the upwards speed of the jump the curve will take a block or more to reach the highest point of that curve. 

What are you trying to prove exactly? All I am seeing is what I would have expected. For example that if you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

meganoth

meganoth

It looks to me like you are too close to the fence (if I compare it to my memorized idea of when to jump in 7d2d). Jumping while running surely follows a physically correct "ballistic trajectory". If you can run relatively fast compared to the upwards speed of the jump the curve will take a bloc or more to reach the highest point of that curve. 

meganoth

meganoth

It looks to me like you are too close to the fence (if I compare it to my memorized idea of when to jump in 7d2d). Jumping while running surely follows a physically correct "ballistic trajectory". If you can run relatively fast compared to the upwards speed of the jump the curve will take a bloc or more to reach the highest point of that curve. 

What are you trying to prove exactly? All I am seeing is that If you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

Also it shows that you the fence is high enough that you are only marginally clearing it (as you seem to often hit the top of the fence) which means the window of distance where the jump works is quite narrow.

meganoth

meganoth

What are you trying to prove exactly? All I am seeing is that If you are timing your jump correctly and start jumping early enough you will reach a sufficient height when you reach the fence. And it seems you are jumping from a sufficient distance in this video, from farther away than in the first video.

meganoth

meganoth

You are trying to increase the jump distance to the fence by approaching in a steep angle. This helps, but in the game you and the obstacle may have slightly bigger collision boxes than the visible frame so you could hit the fence earlier than expected as well. Also the collision boxes may be simply rectangular boxes that don't follow your frame closely everywhere. This might contribute to the effect that jumping at a steep angle is not as effective as it should be.

meganoth

meganoth

17 hours ago, FranticDan said:

You are trying to increase the jump distance to the fence by approaching in a steep angle. This helps, but in the game you and the obstacle may have slightly bigger collision boxes than the visible frame so you could hit the fence earlier than expected as well. This also just stops your jump, which seems unnatural because in reality you would topple over the fence and falling on your face which isn't implemented in the game.

17 hours ago, FranticDan said: