Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

28 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Oh, oh, are we talking about weird RWG stuff when it comes to POI placement? [Snip] Every single town I've touched...

I've not tried to look at this kind of thing yet for 1.0, but it can result from having too many ways to divide up the POIs. The pools of available POIs get smaller with each division until they start to get recognizable. It seems 1.0 added more settlement types, though they use the same districts that we've had for a while, so I don't think that's a reason for your observation.

But 1.0 did start mixing in some biome progression elements so I wonder if you're getting a heavy dose of CountryTowns in forest and burnt forest? (The maps I'm seeing look like that might be the case.) With default settings, you might have something like 4 CountryTowns in the Forest and 3 more in Burnt Forest. CountryTowns only have 2 districts. If I had to guess, I suspect this is the source of your observation.

The brute force no-BS way to overcome this is to make 1,000 more POIs. (But that's not realistic.) A quicker attempt that might provide a little relief would be something like:

• Let CountryTowns have an optional "outskirt_district". (Sometimes it has one; sometimes it doesn't.
  • Let all settlements with outskirt_districts specify more than one district. (Kinyajuu added support for this; not sure if its still there.)
    • Town outskirt_district = rural,residential
    • City outskirt_district = residential

Fewer cities, towns, and countrytowns could help out though I doubt this will be popular.

But ultimately this is all up against the Human Brain, which is really good at remembering patterns, plus you can consume content far faster than it can be created. To some extent you're doomed to eventually see all villages and towns to be very similar.

I can suggest perhaps spending a little more time exploring the Wilderness POIs. Folks tend to hang out around the settlements because the experience points are dense-packed there.

zztong

zztong

6 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Oh, oh, are we talking about weird RWG stuff when it comes to POI placement? [Snip] Every single town I've touched...

I've not tried to look at this kind of thing yet for 1.0, but it can result from having too many ways to divide up the POIs. The pools of available POIs get smaller with each division until they start to get recognizable. It seems 1.0 added more settlement types, though they use the same districts that we've had for a while, so I don't think that's a reason for your observation.

But 1.0 did start mixing in some biome progression elements so I wonder if you're getting a heavy dose of CountryTowns in forest and burnt forest? (The maps I'm seeing look like that might be the case.) With default settings, you might have something like 4 CountryTowns in the Forest and 3 more in Burnt Forest. CountryTowns only have 2 districts. If I had to guess, I suspect this is the source of your observation.

The brute force no-BS way to overcome this is to make 1,000 more POIs. (But that's not realistic.) A quicker attempt that might provide a little relief would be something like:

• Let CountryTowns have an optional "outskirt_district". (Sometimes it has one; sometimes it doesn't.
  • Let all settlements with outskirt_districts specify more than one district. (Kinyajuu added support for this; not sure if its still there.)
    • Town outskirt_district = rural,residential
    • City outskirt_district = residential

But ultimately this is all up against the Human Brain, which is really good at remembering patterns, plus you can consume content far faster than it can be created. To some extent you're doomed to eventually see all villages and towns to be very similar.

I can suggest perhaps spending a little more time exploring the Wilderness POIs. Folks tend to hang out around the settlements because the experience points are dense-packed there.