Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

4 hours ago, Laran Mithras said:

This.

Heavy armor should be heavy. Instead of nerfing the safety, nerf the other stats. Make the movement penalty much heavier: such as, no running. Leave it as it is and make the penalties for using it weigh against the benefits of taking little or no damage.

What's the point of teching up, perking up, and saving scads of resources to make armor that just never quite does it?

Just my opinion.

As it is, with the heavy armor nerf, ALL the other armors will now need nerfing.

Ugh.

All you end up with doing that is to create a min/max situation.  If a player can't run in heavy armor or the movement penalty is just really high, but armor is so powerful it can make you invincible (that was why they changed things), then players are just going to put on the heavy armor as soon as they start a POI or horde night and not wear it when moving.  It doesn't take much time to swap armor, so that's what they'd do.  That isn't a good solution.  A player should never be invulnerable because of the armor they wear.

Now, yes, if things aren't changed, all other armor will need to be nerfed to compensate.  If they do that, they might need to reduce zombie damage to compensate for that nerf.  However, what they did with heavy armor seems to be just a quick fix that isn't necessarily going to stay the way it is.  It was shown that you could actually gain health when being hit by zombies with the armor the way it was.  That wasn't something they wanted happening and the fastest fix for that was what they did.  They'll most likely evaluate how to handle a permanent fix now that they have time without players exploiting that.  Whether that permanent fix still means no armor mods on heavy armor or a reduction in all armor stats or even changing armor mods to not give so much additional armor or something else entirely, we'll have to wait to see.

But feel free to offer them possible options like you did.  Just consider the effects of what you suggest.  Just like them making a quick change has side effects that people are going to not like, your own suggestion also has side effects that aren't good.  Any quickly thought of idea will likely not work well without taking time to really examine all the ways it affects the game, which takes time.

As a note, I always used heavy armor before 1.0 so I want heavy armor to be good.  In 1.0, I don't know what class of armor I'm using because the way they made armor, there are other stats that I care about beyond just armor value and so I'm not really looking at the armor value.  Movement, stamina, or noise didn't matter to me before 1.0 and still don't, but the other bonuses do matter and might outweigh the armor class for me.  So I really have no idea what class I'm using right now.

Riamus

Riamus

This.

Heavy armor should be heavy. Instead of nerfing the safety, nerf the other stats. Make the movement penalty much heavier: such as, no running. Leave it as it is and make the penalties for using it weigh against the benefits of taking little or no damage.

What's the point of teching up, perking up, and saving scads of resources to make armor that just never quite does it?

Just my opinion.

As it is, with the heavy armor nerf, ALL the other armors will now need nerfing.

Ugh.

All you end up with doing that is to create a min/max situation.  If a player can't run in heavy armor or the movement penalty is just really high, but armor is so powerful it can make you invincible (that was why they changed things), then players are just going to put on the heavy armor as soon as they start a POI or horde night and not wear it when moving.  It doesn't take much time to swap armor, so that's what they'd do.  That isn't a good solution.

Now, yes, if things aren't changed, all other armor will need to be nerfed to compensate.  If they do that, they might need to reduce zombie damage to compensate for that nerf.  However, what they did with heavy armor seems to be just a quick fix that isn't necessarily going to stay the way it is.  It was shown that you could actually gain health when being hit by zombies with the armor the way it was.  That wasn't something they wanted happening and the fastest fix for that was what they did.  They'll most likely evaluate how to handle a permanent fix now that they have time without players exploiting that.  Whether that permanent fix still means no armor mods on heavy armor or a reduction in all armor stats or even changing armor mods to not give so much additional armor or something else entirely, we'll have to wait to see.

But feel free to offer them possible options like you did.  Just consider the effects of what you suggest.  Just like them making a quick change has side effects that people are going to not like, your own suggestion also has side effects that aren't good.  Any quickly thought of idea will likely not work well without taking time to really examine all the ways it affects the game, which takes time.

As a note, I always used heavy armor before 1.0 so I want heavy armor to be good.  In 1.0, I don't know what class of armor I'm using because the way they made armor, there are other stats that I care about beyond just armor value and so I'm not really looking at the armor value.  Movement, stamina, or noise didn't matter to me before 1.0 and still don't, but the other bonuses do matter and might outweigh the armor class for me.  So I really have no idea what class I'm using right now.

Riamus

Riamus

This.

Just my opinion.

Ugh.

All you end up with doing that is to create a min/max situation.  If a player can't run in heavy armor or the movement penalty is just really high, but armor is so powerful it can make you invincible (that was why they changed things), then players are just going to put on the heavy armor as soon as they start a POI or horde night and not wear it when moving.  It doesn't take much time to swap armor, so that's what they'd do.  That isn't a good solution.