Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

fixed typos; added grep command for those who are curious

On 2/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, Arez said:

So the answer is the process of random world generation is limited.

You might say that, but I would phrase it otherwise. The process of random world generation is capable of much more randomization, but the amount of material available to it to use is limited.

For example, the Vanilla game comes with 47 Tiles, essentially 1 of each type (with few exceptions). If RWG needs a "Country Residential Corner" tile, you're getting "rwg_tile_countryresidential_corner" for certain because that's the only choice available to RWG. Assume you're making a Vanilla 8k map ... RWG might use that tile 12 times. That means the little garage on that Tile appears in your world 12 times. That Tile also demands some POIs be placed...

So for that tile, RWG has to try to find 4 POIs of size Extra Small (25x25) as well as 7 POIs of size Small (42x42) that are tagged as "countryresidential" to put onto that Tile. If that Tile appears 12 times on your map, then RWG needs 48 XS POIs and 84 S POIs that are tagged as "countryresidential." The game only comes with 62 POIs that have that tag, and some of those probably aren't either of those sizes. You can either have duplicates or empty lots in your Country Town. RWG will use duplicates.

Again, assuming you're talking about an 8k map -- If you want to eliminate duplicate Tiles, then you probably need 12 more Country Residential Corner Tiles. If you want to eliminate duplicate POIs in the Country Residential district, then you probably need around another 80 POIs just for Country Residential.

I feel for you. I looked to world generation starting in A19 and concluded the biggest need was world variety and that numbers of POIs was the answer. Then in A20 with the advent of Tiles, I concluded Tiles and POIs was the answer. That's driven the development of my collection of Tiles and POIs -- numbers. Try to keep the quality at an average level, and address the numbers.

The numbers are staggering. I doubt we ever reach having enough Tiles and POIs for an 8k world to be completely unique. Throw in the CompoPack if you really want to attack variety as that's something like 2,500 POIs. It still won't be enough. You either need to thin out the number of cities and wilderness POIs, shrink the map, perhaps both, or start cranking out the content.

For reference, counting the number of POIs with a "countryresidential" tag:

zztong@ZZMonolith:~/7dData/Prefabs/POIs$ grep "name=\"Tags\"" *.xml | grep "countryresidential" | wc -l

zztong

zztong

You might say that, but I would phrase it otherwise. The process of random world generation is capable of much more randomization, but the amount of material available to it to use is limited.

For example, the Vanilla game comes with 47 Tiles, essentially 1 of each type (with few exceptions). If RWG needs a "Country Residential Corner" tile, you're getting "rwg_tile_countryresidential_corner" for certain because that's the only choice available to RWG. Assume you're making a Vanilla 8k map ... RWG might use that tile 12 times. That means the little garage on that Tile appears in your world 12 times. That Tile also demands some POIs be placed...

So for that tile, RWG has to try to find 4 POIs of size Extra Small (25x25) as well as 7 POIs of size Small (42x42) that are tagged as "countryresidential" to put onto that Tile. If that Tile appears 12 times on your map, then RWG needs 48 XS POIs and 84 S POIs that are tagged as "countryresidential." The game only comes with 62 POIs that have that tag, and some of those probably aren't either of those sizes. You can either have duplicates or empty lots in your Country Town. RWG will use duplicates.

Again, assuming you're talking about an 8k map -- If you want to eliminate duplicate Tiles, then you probably need 12 more Country Residential Corner Tiles. If you want to eliminate duplicate POIs in the Country Residential district, then you probably need around another 80 POIs just for Country Residential.

I feel for you. I looked to world generation starting in A19 and concluded the biggest need was world variety and that numbers of POIs was the answer. Then in A20 with the advent of Tiles, I concluded Tiles and POIs was the answer. That's driven the development of my collection of Tiles and POIs -- numbers. Try to keep the quality at an average level, and address the numbers.

The numbers are staggering. I doubt we ever reach having enough Tiles and POIs for an 8k world to be completely unique. Throw in the CompoPack if you really want to attack variety as that's something like 2,500 POIs. It still won't be enough. You either need to thin out the number of cities and wilderness POIs, shrink the map, perhaps both, or start cranking out the content.

zztong

zztong

The numbers are staggering. I doubt we ever reach having enough Tiles and POIs for an 8k world to be completely unique. Throw in the CompoPack if you really want to attack variety as that's something like 2,500 POIs. It still won't be enough. You either need to thin out the cities and wilderness, shrink the map, or start cranking out the content.

zztong

zztong

So for that tile, RWG has to try to find 4 POIs of size Extra Small (25x25) as well as 7 POIs of size Small (42x42) that are tagged as "countryresidential" to put onto that Tile. If that Tile appears 12 times on your map, then RWG needs 48 XS POIs and 84 S POIs that are tagged as "countryresidential." The game only comes with 87 POIs that have that tag, and some of those probably aren't either of those sizes. You can either have duplicates or empty lots in your Country Town. RWG will use duplicates.

The numbers are staggering. I doubt we ever reach having enough Tiles and POIs for an 8k world to be completely unique. Throw in the CompoPack if you really want to attack variety as that's something like 2,500 POIs. It still won't be enough. You either need to thin out the cities and wilderness, shrink the map, or start cranking out the content.

zztong

zztong

So for that tile, RWG has to try to find 4 POIs of size Extra Small (25x25) as well as 7 POIs of size Small (42x42) that are tagged as "countryresidential" to put onto that Tile. If that Tile appears 12 times on your map, then RWG needs 48 XS POIs and 84 S POIs that are tagged as "countrytown." The game only comes with 87 POIs that have that tag, and some of those probably aren't either of those sizes. You can either have duplicates or empty lots in your Country Town. RWG will use duplicates.

zztong

zztong

23 hours ago, Arez said:

So for that tile, RWG has to try to find 4 POIs of size Extra Small (25x25) as well as 7 POIs of size Small (42x42) that are tagged as "countrytown" to put onto that Tile. If that Tile appears 12 times on your map, then RWG needs 48 XS POIs and 84 S POIs that are tagged as "countrytown." The game only comes with 87 POIs that have that tag, and some of those probably aren't either of those sizes. You can either have duplicates or empty lots in your Country Town. RWG will use duplicates.