Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

59 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Thanks for the clarification! I’ve been on the Reddit a lot and it seems over there the view is that the change was made to prevent cheese bases, the new ai makes the game harder and more fun in some ways.

Humans like to attribute changes to things they do or have seen first hand. This is why people in older times blamed a dead cow either on whatever they did shortly before or on some stranger that came into the village a few days before 😉 At least that is my theory why almost all changes in this game are blamed as being a reaction to some streamer or group of players doing some cheesy thing. In a few cases they are or it is part of the reason but mostly these are just wild and false guesses by some player and perpetuated from then on.

but, to me at least, you can’t beat the old feeling of that chunky house with defences like mote+spike and mine fields being more effective

If you plant spikes one block down, so their top is level with the surrounding area they are as effective as in A16. This is because the AI sees spikes simply as blocks and when they are flush with the ground they don't count as obstacles for the AI. Even better, a destroyed buried spike leaves a hole in the ground that then counts as an obstacle. The zombies will then walk over nearby spikes instead of walking through the hole. Won't bring back the general feeling but you will see spikes in a new light.

where the zombies came from all directions and didn’t take the weakest route and you could have a roof or multiple balconies you’d have to dart between to kill off zombies before they did too much damage to one side of the base or too many built up (the new ai is definitely better for path finding in stuff like POIs though), ah well, unless someone manages to integrate the old ai as a mod or at least work an ai task in that charges towards the player attempting to break blocks in the way if there’s no clear path change within a few blocks that it’s never happening.

I think I heard there is a setting in the AI that handles for how many blocks ahead the zombies can plan their routes. If this were set to a small number the zombies should (in theory) react somewhat similar to the old ways. Though I don't know of any mod doing this so this "naive" approach may not work after all (?).

meganoth

meganoth

58 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Thanks for the clarification! I’ve been on the Reddit a lot and it seems over there the view is that the change was made to prevent cheese bases, the new ai makes the game harder and more fun in some ways.

Humans like to attribute changes to things they do or have seen first hand. This is why people in older times blamed a dead cow either on whatever they did shortly before or on some stranger that came into the village a few days before 😉 At least that is my theory why almost all changes in this game are blamed as being a reaction to some streamer or group of players doing some cheesy thing. In a few cases they are or it is part of the reason but mostly these are just wild and false guesses by some player and perpetuated from then on.

but, to me at least, you can’t beat the old feeling of that chunky house with defences like mote+spike and mine fields being more effective

If you plant spikes one block down, so their top is level with the surrounding area they are as effective as in A16. This is because the AI sees spikes simply as blocks and when they are flush with the ground they don't count as obstacles for the AI. Even better a destroyed buried spike leaves a hole in the ground that then counts as an obstacle. The zombies will then walk over nearby spikes instead of walking through the hole. Won't bring back the general feeling but you will see spikes in a new light.

where the zombies came from all directions and didn’t take the weakest route and you could have a roof or multiple balconies you’d have to dart between to kill off zombies before they did too much damage to one side of the base or too many built up (the new ai is definitely better for path finding in stuff like POIs though), ah well, unless someone manages to integrate the old ai as a mod or at least work an ai task in that charges towards the player attempting to break blocks in the way if there’s no clear path change within a few blocks that it’s never happening.

I think I heard there is a setting in the AI that handles for how many blocks ahead the zombies can plan their routes. If this were set to a small number the zombies should (in theory) react somewhat similar to the old ways. Though I don't know of any mod doing this so this "naive" approach may not work after all (?).

meganoth

meganoth

56 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Hint: If you plant spikes one block down, so their top is level with the surrounding area they are as effective as in A16. This is because the AI sees spikes simply as blocks and when they are flush with the ground they don't count as obstacles. Even better a destroyed buried spike leaves a hole in the ground that then counts as an obstacle. The zombies will then walk over nearby spikes instead of walking through the hole. Won't bring back the general feeling but you will see spikes in a new light.

meganoth

meganoth

55 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Humans like to attribute changes to things they do or have seen first hand. This is why people in older times blamed a dead cow either on whatever they did shortly before or on some stranger that came into the village a few days before 😉 At least that is my theory why almost all changes in this game are attributed as a reaction to some streamer or group of players doing some cheesy thing. In a few cases they are or it is part of the reason but mostly these are just wild and false guesses by some player and perpetuated from then on.

Hint: If you plant spikes one block down, so their top is level with the surrounding area they are as effective as in A16. This is because the AI sees spikes simply as blocks and when they are flush with the ground they don't count as obstacles. Even better a destroyed buried spike leaves a hole in the ground that then counts as an obstacle. The zombies will then walk over nearby spikes instead of walking through the hole. Won't bring back the general feeling but you will see spikes in a new light.

meganoth

meganoth

51 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Humans like to attribute changes to things they do or have seen first hand. This is why people in older times blamed a dead cow either on whatever they did shortly before or on some stranger that came into the village a few days before 😉 At least that is my theory why almost all changes in this game are attributed as a reaction to some streamer or group of players doing some cheesy thing. In a few cases they are or it is part of the reason but mostly these are just wild and false guesses by some player and perpetuated from then on.

I think I heard there is a setting in the AI that handles for how many blocks ahead the zombies can plan their routes. If this were set to a small number the zombies should (in theory) react somewhat similar to the old ways. Though I haven't heard of a successful mod doing this so this "naive" approach may not work after all.

meganoth

meganoth

20 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

Humans like to attribute changes to things they do or have seen first hand. This is why people in older times blamed a dead cow either on whatever they did shortly before or on some stranger that came into the village a few days before 😉 

26 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

35 minutes ago, jjh5874 said:

I think I heard there is a setting in the AI that handles for how many blocks ahead the zombies can plan their routes. If this is set to very small the zombies should (in theory) react somewhat similar to the old ways. Though I haven't heard of a successful mod doing this so this "naive" approach may not work after all.