Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

7 hours ago, theFlu said:

Kinda agree with the mods there, doubt TFP is actually planning a "max lifespan" for the game itself. They're just trying to "settle" the gameplay / experience to a Good Pace (TM) - some of it does seem to detract from "forever games", but offering a "good experience for the average session" seems to be the actual goal.

Where I might mildly disagree; the "not wanting to compete with your next product" is a thing for sure, and it only depends on the company, how they make decisions with that in mind... TFP isn't in a position to compete with itself yet, but even decisions like "we'll do thing X* in the next game" (*for a realistic example, solid terrain) are basically already following the logic, driving development resources towards the "reusable" things, while reducing 'interest' in the current one.

That might not be "intentionally avoiding competing with yourself", but rather "actual development resources competing for priorities" but the end result can be quite similar.

I don't understand your point here. Is this a reply to my post? If it clears anything up I fully agree that TFP like any other game company would like to make any new game they put out look better than the previous one and surely wants players to forget the old one and buy the new one and play it.

But that wasn't the topic. And I did not say anything contrary to that in my previous post.

meganoth

meganoth

Kinda agree with the mods there, doubt TFP is actually planning a "max lifespan" for the game itself. They're just trying to "settle" the gameplay / experience to a Good Pace (TM) - some of it does seem to detract from "forever games", but offering a "good experience for the average session" seems to be the actual goal.

Where I might mildly disagree; the "not wanting to compete with your next product" is a thing for sure, and it only depends on the company, how they make decisions with that in mind... TFP isn't in a position to compete with itself yet, but even decisions like "we'll do thing X* in the next game" (*for a realistic example, solid terrain) are basically already following the logic, driving development resources towards the "reusable" things, while reducing 'interest' in the current one.

That might not be "intentionally avoiding competing with yourself", but rather "actual development resources competing for priorities" but the end result can be quite similar.

I don't understand your point here. Is this a reply to my post? If it clears anything up I fully agree that TFP like any other game company would like to make any new game they put out look better than the previous one and surely wants players to buy the new one and play it.

But that wasn't the topic. I did not say anything contrary to that in my previous post.

meganoth

meganoth

I don't understand your point here. Is this a reply to my post? If it clears anything up I fully agree that TFP like any other game company would like to make any new game they put out look better than the previous one and surely wants players to buy the new one and play it. I did not say anything contrary to that in my previous post.

meganoth

meganoth

I don't understand your point here. Is this a reply to my post?