Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

3 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Y'know, you are allowed to be critical of the game once in a while. ;) I've definitely run into the issue of hitting nothing with a vehicle and bouncing backward quite often. I could see it being a performance or network issue if it were just the ground vehicles. But hitting nothing while you're in the air in the gyrocopter....

What can I say? I don't ever get those "hitting nothing" events with my current PC and my current server, but I got them for example when I had a rented server with much less performance and with much less RAM than my current one (in fact performance problems were one reason why I switched servers, once from a managed game server to a bare virtual machine, then from that virtual machine to a more powerful virtual machine). What would you suspect then if you were in my shoes?

Also notice that I didn't claim that I know the cause, I just said I suspect performance or network might be a more probable cause. At least I think that "...sound more like..." is equivalent to suspecting, right?

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know. If not you would simply fall through the world if in a ground vehicle as the game has no knowledge at that moment where the ground is!). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

The gyrocopter by the way is the fastest vehicle in the vanilla game. If you have problems with the world not loading fast enough then you will see them most often in the gyro.

meganoth

meganoth

Y'know, you are allowed to be critical of the game once in a while. ;) I've definitely run into the issue of hitting nothing with a vehicle and bouncing backward quite often. I could see it being a performance or network issue if it were just the ground vehicles. But hitting nothing while you're in the air in the gyrocopter....

What can I say? I don't ever get those "hitting nothing" events with my current PC and my current server, but I got them for example when I had a rented server with much less performance and with much less RAM than my current one (in fact performance problems were one reason why I switched servers, once from a managed game server to a bare virtual machine, then from that virtual machine to a more powerful virtual machine). What would you suspect then if you were in my shoes?

Also notice that I didn't claim that I know the cause, I just said I suspect performance or network might be a more probable cause. At least I think that "...sound more like..." is equivalent to suspecting, right?

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know. If not you would simply fall through the world if in a ground vehicle as the game has no knowledge where the ground is!). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

The gyrocopter by the way is the fastest vehicle in the vanilla game. If you have problems with the world not loading fast enough then you will see them most often in the gyro.

meganoth

meganoth

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know. If not you would simply fall through the world as the game has no knowledge where the ground is!). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

meganoth

meganoth

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know. If not you would simply fall through the world as the game has no knowledge where the ground is!). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

The gyrocopter by the way is the fastest vehicle in the vanilla game. IF you see such a problem of the world not loading fast enough then you will see it most often in the gyro.

meganoth

meganoth

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

meganoth

meganoth

Also notice that I didn't claim that I know the cause, I just said I suspect performance or network might be a more probable cause. At least I think that "...sound more like..." is equivalent to that, right?

Also notice that we probably know the surface reason why this is happening: If your game can't load the information of the next chunk/area in time for you to enter that chunk the game will just stop you and wait for the data (this we do know). Now think about reasons why this data isn't here in time. Sure, it could be a bug. But the easiest explanation that comes to mind is that somewhere in the path from server disk to server RAM to network card to network to your PCs network card to RAM was a slowdown.

meganoth

meganoth

2 hours ago, Old Crow said:

Also notice that I didn't claim that I know the cause, I just said I suspect performance or network might be a more probable cause. At least I think that "...sound more like..." is equivalent to that, right?

meganoth

meganoth

What can I say? I don't ever get those "hitting nothing" events with my current PC and my current server, but I got them for example when I had a rented server with much less performance and with less RAM than my current one. What would you suspect then if you were in my shoes?

meganoth

meganoth

What can I say? I don't ever get those "hitting nothing" events with my current PC and my current server, but I got them for example when I had a rented server with much less performance and with less RAM than my current one. 

What would you suspect if you were in my shoes? Also notice that I didn't claim it must be that way, I just said I suspect it or give it a higher probability. At least I think that "...sound more like..." is equivalent to that, right?