Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Ramethzer0

Ramethzer0

On 10/7/2023 at 7:14 AM, meganoth said:

Though concerning your aside it is worth mentioning that he has as much right tossing his hot take onto the pile as you have praising them, even if it were certain that it won't result in any changes. This is a discussion forum. If he ever steps over the line you always have that button above to report the post to the moderators.

I both do and do not agree with that.   The agree comes from the ability to express ones self here in the 'discussion' format.   I would never advocate to silence folks.

However, the caveat I feel that's relevant here is the content and language one uses to express that idea.   This is the part I don't have to accept.  If another forumgoer has the right to say what they feels, up until moderator intervention, then by the same logic shouldn't respond to said criticism with my desire to absolutely reject it?  I don't always need a report button to prove that point, which I see as a tool for potential silencing.  I'm speaking from the perspective of a participant in this conversation, not as some desire to position myself as a moderator.

I realize this can be hot button topic, but I just don't agree that all hot takes have value.  I could go on a whole other topic about how sensationalizing this has become popular across social media and from influencer types, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Ramethzer0

Ramethzer0

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Though concerning your aside it is worth mentioning that he has as much right tossing his hot take onto the pile as you have praising them, even if it were certain that it won't result in any changes. This is a discussion forum. If he ever steps over the line you always have that button above to report the post to the moderators.

I both do and do not agree with that.   The agree comes from the ability to express ones self here in the 'discussion' format.   I would never advocate to silence folks.

However, the caveat I feel that's relevant here is the content and language one uses to express that idea.   This is the part I don't have to accept.  If another forumgoer has the right to say what they feels, up until moderator intervention, then by the same logic shouldn't respond to said criticism with my desire to absolutely reject it.  I don't always need a report button to prove that point, which I see as a tool for potential silencing.  I'm speaking from the perspective of a participant in this conversation, not as some desire to position myself as a moderator.

I realize this can be hot button topic, but I just don't agree that all hot takes have value.  I could go on a whole other topic about how sensationalizing this has become popular across social media and from influencer types, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Ramethzer0

Ramethzer0

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

I both do and do not agree with this particular point.   The agree comes from the ability to express ones self here in the 'discussion' format.   I would never advocate to silence folks.

However, the caveat I feel that's relevant here is the content and language one uses to express that idea.   This is the part I don't have to accept.  If another forumgoer has the right to say what they feels, up until moderator intervention, then by the same logic shouldn't respond to said criticism with my desire to absolutely reject it.  I don't always need a report button to prove that point, which I see as a tool for potential silencing.  I'm speaking from the perspective of a participant in this conversation, not as some desire to position myself as a moderator.

Ramethzer0

Ramethzer0

I both do and do not agree with this particular point.   The agree comes from the ability to express ones self here in the 'discussion' format.   I would never advocate to silence folks.

However, the caveat I feel that's relevant here is the content and language one uses to express that idea.   This is the part I don't have to accept.  If another forumgoer has the right to say what he feels, up until moderator intervention, then by the same logic I can respond to said criticism with my desire to absolutely reject it.  I don't always need a report button to prove that point, which I see as a tool for potential silencing one outright.

Ramethzer0

Ramethzer0

I both do and do not agree with this particular point.   The agree comes from the ability to express ones self here in the 'discussion' format.   I would never advocate for others to never participate.

However, the caveat I feel that's relevant here is the content and language one uses to express that idea.   This is the part I don't have to accept.  If another forumgoer has the right to say what he feels, up until moderator intervention, then by the same logic I can respond to said criticism with my desire to absolutely reject it.  I don't always need a report button to prove that point, which I see as a tool for potential silencing one outright.