Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

8 hours ago, Tom Stephens said:

Agreed, to some extent.  I think the word "boycott" is a distraction.  The problem is, where does a game fit in your priorities if you suspect it has no future? 

I had problems understanding your position because with "future" I thought you meant something like upwards of 2 years from now. But I just realized you probably meant something like "Can I still continue my game in 4 months when I start a new world now?"

Well, I can't forsee the future, but:

* TFP is definitely in Unity's pro or enterprise support, so they will pay much less than the 20 cent per installation. 

* Even with a cash grab like that nobody in his sane mind would try to (immediately) kill the geese that are laying the golden eggs for them. So while this move may possibly kill off very small indie studios or some other special cases where a high charge because of many installs meets low cash reserves (small smartphone game developers are probably one of the corner cases), the charges are surely set up so successful games have no difficulty paying those charges. 

* If TFP had any reasons to believe selling the game would leave them no profit after deducing the Unity charges they could always as a last resort declare the game finished, i.e. release it, and stop selling of the game. But since they still want to sell new games they have to stay on the good side of the players, so they would not switch off the possibility to play the game. By making it "abandonware" they could then also prevent paying any charges to Unity. But this is only a worst case scenario.

And if I had to guess I would say any successful PC game developer (who is not creating free-to-play smartphone games) would be able to pay even the 20 cent charge per installation easily.

meganoth

meganoth

7 hours ago, Tom Stephens said:

Agreed, to some extent.  I think the word "boycott" is a distraction.  The problem is, where does a game fit in your priorities if you suspect it has no future? 

I had problems understanding your position because with future I thought you meant something like upwards of 2 years from now. But I just realized you probably meant something like "Can I still continue my game in 4 months when I start a new world now?"

Well, I can't forsee the future, but:

* TFP is definitely in Unity's pro or enterprise support, so they will pay much less than the 20 cent per installation. 

* Even with a cash grab like that nobody in his sane mind would try to (immediately) kill the geese that are laying the golden eggs for them. So while this move may possibly kill off very small indie studios or some other special cases where a high charge because of many installs meets almost non-existant cash reserves, the charges are surely set up so successful games have no difficulty paying those charges. 

* If TFP had any reasons to believe the charges would leave them no profit after deducing the Unity charges they could always as a last resort declare the game finished, i.e. release it, and stop selling of the game. But since they still want to sell new games they have to stay on the good side of the players, so they would not switch off the possibility to play the game. By making it "abandonware" they could then also prevent paying any charges to Unity. But this is only a sort of worst case scenario. And if I had to guess I would say any successful PC game developer (who is not creating free-to-play handy games) would be able to pay even the 20 cent charge per installation easily.