Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

6 hours ago, Gamida said:

I just watched a stream of Asmongold watching a stream of a game dev talking about it.

He mentions (the dev) a lot of points that seem to show it is not that good.

Some games are going to be charged retroactively from what he explained.

You mentioned you only installed 3 or 4 times so only .80 cents but with 10's of thousands or even up in the hundreds, that could add up quickly.

If I see the devs stream I will link it here.

Did the game dev explain what he heard from a lawyer? Or is he well educated in law? Just asking, just because he is a dev and posts on youtube, it doesn't make his "facts" any more accurate than what everyone here is knowing or not knowing.

Especially the retroactive thing is something that should not be possible in normal circumstances. So before we have hard evidence of it actually being true you should use occams razor and except the normal way of things, not the sensational way.

If Unity has been losing money with their current pay model then they need to do something about it. If your grocery store raises prices it isn't because he is a money grabbing monster but he may need to because he may have more costs as well. And you always need to compare prices to similar offers. Is unreal engine really cheaper or more bang for the buck even after such a raise?

The problematic thing about this is ONLY that they seem to be looking for a new pricing mechanism instead of simply raising prices and the mechanism they showed is very suspect in quite a few ways. I can only guess they think their current pricing model does not fit the actual usage pattern, so some developers are charged right or already too much, and others can use the engine successfully without having to pay a similar percentage.

meganoth

meganoth

5 hours ago, Gamida said:

I just watched a stream of Asmongold watching a stream of a game dev talking about it.

He mentions (the dev) a lot of points that seem to show it is not that good.

Some games are going to be charged retroactively from what he explained.

You mentioned you only installed 3 or 4 times so only .80 cents but with 10's of thousands or even up in the hundreds, that could add up quickly.

If I see the devs stream I will link it here.

Did the game dev explain what he heard from a lawyer? Or is he well educated in law? Just asking, just because he is a dev and posts on youtube, it doesn't make his "facts" any more accurate than what everyone here is knowing or not knowing.

Especially the retroactive thing is something that should not be possible in normal circumstances. So before we have hard evidence of it actually being true you should use occams razor and except the normal way of things, not the sensational way.

If Unity has been losing money with their current pay model then they need to do something about it. If your grocery store raises prices it isn't because he is a money grabbing monster but he may need to because he may have more costs as well. And you always need to compare prices to similar offers. Is unreal engine really cheaper or more bang for the buck even after such a raise?

The problematic thing about this is ONLY that they seem to be looking for a new pricing mechanism instead of simply raising prices and the mechanism they showed is very suspect in quite a few ways. I can only guess they think their current pricing model does not fit the actual usage pattern, so some developers are charged right or already too much, and others can use the engine successfully without having to pay as much.