Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Obsessive Compulsive

Obsessive Compulsive

7 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Well, I have a feeling you're not making over $200,000 per year on mods, so you wouldn't have to worry.  It's unlikely they would lower this threshold so far that anyone developing mods for anything would ever have to pay this per-install amount.

That being said, this is really bad business practice.  I had been interested in doing some Unity projects and even though I'll never make anything that makes enough money to get charged by this change, I still think I will probably find something else to use instead of Unity.  I think this is just really bad practice and so wouldn't want to support them by using their product.

haha true, I dont know if that is a good or bad thing that Im not making that much. I would never expect to make money from something I distribute for free but that comes full circle to unity. They released this as a free engine. To do this now and to devs in mid production. Plus the wording being some what vague as to whom and why this applies. Its very shady. Like they were just testing the waters to gauge the reaction seeing as they are already changing the approach after a single day

While I was just using myself as a vague example of the absurdity to it, I have friends that have produced very popular mods that have made them close to 200k a year so far. Not for 7 days, but rather in another game produced in unity. It doesnt last forever since game popularity dwindles quick. Its amazing the money in gaming if you get lucky. Between the sponsors, advertisers and direct sales, there are insane funds which is why we see these goofy schemes creep up from unity.

I hope your project goes well

Obsessive Compulsive

Obsessive Compulsive

4 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Well, I have a feeling you're not making over $200,000 per year on mods, so you wouldn't have to worry.  It's unlikely they would lower this threshold so far that anyone developing mods for anything would ever have to pay this per-install amount.

That being said, this is really bad business practice.  I had been interested in doing some Unity projects and even though I'll never make anything that makes enough money to get charged by this change, I still think I will probably find something else to use instead of Unity.  I think this is just really bad practice and so wouldn't want to support them by using their product.

haha true, I dont know if that is a good or bad thing that Im not making that much. I would never expect to make money from something I distribute for free but that comes full circle to unity. They released this as a free engine. To do this now and to devs in mid production. Plus the wording being some what vague as to whom and why this applies. Its very shady. Like they were just testing the waters to gauge the reaction seeing as they are already changing the approach after a single day

I hope your project goes well