Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

1 hour ago, 7daysOfFun said:

a question only for u zztong, iv copied your houses in prefabs and u say they have specials in it ...can u say me perhaps one special thing iv missed but never seen?

Nearly every POI I make has Parts. A part can be something like a horse trailer, a semi-truck, an HVAC unit on a roof, a ladder, port-a-potties, land mines, a tree trunk, a checkpoint with zombies, barbwire, barricades, beehives, billboards, bus stops, campers, culverts, deliveries, driveways that connect to tiles, sections of fence, firewood, guard rails, hay bales, pallets of construction materials, railroad cars, water towers, cellphone towers, storm cellars, tents, scaffolding, and more.

Basically, any content that I want to have a chance of appearing, but that does not always appear, is a part. Parts are how I try to keep the same POI from looking the same from placement to placement on a map, or even from map to map. Without the parts, you lose a lot of variety, sometimes you lose some zombies, and sometimes you lose some loot.

Here's the front parking lot of zztong_store_s_01 with Parts and without Parts. Everything shown with a blue bounding box is a Part. I've got some POIs with 20+ Parts.

20230822134155_1.thumb.jpg.c95005159597c15548b09fb137f39511.jpg

20230822134204_1.thumb.jpg.eb82c8ab3b58e311a6818f0d7a811d82.jpg

other: how the mapmaker "knows" thats are houses in "new" prefabs and mods? he scans >both directories< when making a map?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is "mapmaker" a program like RWG or Teragon, or a person who is making the map?

RWG and Teragon both have ways to signal. RWG knows to look in LocalPrefabs and in Modlets to find POIs. That's the appeal of modlets to me as I can deliver a self-contained ready to use package. Teragon needs you to tell it about modlets.

A person making a map manually has to know the modlets and their tools. If they go pry apart modlets then they need to know what they're doing in terms of how POIs are built beyond just using the Prefab Editor to make the 6 files. They have to know the entire interface between POIs and their world builder of choice or they risk only getting partial POI content.

Paradise Plaza

I looked into this one. This is a very nice POI made by VoltraLux, and they were nice enough to package it all up into a modlet for you. Consider the contents:

FILE CONTENTS

📁 MegaMall
📁 Config
- 📄 localization.txt (224 B)
📁 Prefabs
- 📄 MegaMall.blocks.nim (18.2 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.ins (22.5 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.jpg (7.4 kB)
- 📄 MegaMall.mesh (2.6 MB)
- 📄 MegaMall.tts (1.4 MB)
- 📄 MegaMall.xml (5.3 kB)
📄 modinfo.xml (289 B)

And note the "Config" and "Prefab" folders and the presence of ModInfo.xml. That's a modlet. If VoltraLux were just giving you a raw POI, you would have only seen the 6 files listed there in the "Prefabs" folder.

In this case, the only extra configuration you're getting is the text for the POI in the Localization.txt file, which is an integration with the game's Danger Meter feature. If you were to just lift the POI's 6 files out and put them into LocalPrefabs, the POI would get placed in worlds and work fine, but you wouldn't see the POI's name in the Danger Meter.
zztong

zztong

a question only for u zztong, iv copied your houses in prefabs and u say they have specials in it ...can u say me perhaps one special thing iv missed but never seen?

Nearly every POI I make has Parts. A part can be something like a horse trailer, a semi-truck, an HVAC unit on a roof, a ladder, port-a-potties, land mines, a tree trunk, a checkpoint with zombies, barbwire, barricades, beehives, billboards, bus stops, campers, culverts, deliveries, driveways that connect to tiles, sections of fence, firewood, guard rails, hay bales, pallets of construction materials, railroad cars, water towers, cellphone towers, storm cellars, tents, scaffolding, and more.

Basically, any content that I want to have a chance of appearing, but that does not always appear, is a part. Parts are how I try to keep the same POI from looking the same from placement to placement on a map, or even from map to map. Without the parts, you lose a lot of variety, sometimes you lose some zombies, and sometimes you lose some loot.

Here's the front parking lot of zztong_store_s_01 with Parts and without Parts. Everything show with a blue bounding box is a Part. I've got some POIs with 20+ Parts.

other: how the mapmaker "knows" thats are houses in "new" prefabs and mods? he scans >both directories< when making a map?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is "mapmaker" a program like RWG or Teragon, or a person who is making the map?

RWG and Teragon both have ways to signal. RWG knows to look in LocalPrefabs and in Modlets to find POIs. That's the appeal of modlets to me as I can deliver a self-contained ready to use package. Teragon needs you to tell it about modlets.

A person making a map manually has to know the modlets and their tools. If they go pry apart modlets then they need to know what they're doing in terms of how POIs are built beyond just using the Prefab Editor to make the 6 files. They have to know the entire interface between POIs and their world builder of choice or they risk only getting partial POI content.

Paradise Plaza

I looked into this one. This is a very nice POI made by VoltraLux, and they were nice enough to package it all up into a modlet for you. Consider the contents:

FILE CONTENTS

📁 MegaMall
📁 Config
📁 Prefabs
📄 modinfo.xml (289 B)

And note the "Config" and "Prefab" folders and the presence of ModInfo.xml. That's a modlet. If VoltraLux were just giving you a raw POI, you would have only seen the 6 files listed there in the "Prefabs" folder.

In this case, the only extra configuration you're getting is the text for the POI in the Localization.txt file, which is an integration with the game's Danger Meter feature. If you were to just lift the POI's 6 files out and put them into LocalPrefabs, the POI would get placed in worlds and work fine, but you wouldn't see the POI's name in the Danger Meter.
zztong

zztong

Basically, any content that I want to have a chance of appearing, but that does not always appear. Parts are how I try to keep the same POI from looking the same from placement to placement on a map, or even from map to map. Without the parts, you lose a lot of variety, sometimes you lose some zombies, and sometimes you lose some loot.

Here's the front parking lot of zztong_store_s_01 with Parts and without Parts. Everything show with a blue bounding box is a Part. I've got some POIs with 20+ Parts.

Paradise Plaza

FILE CONTENTS

📁 MegaMall
📁 Config
📁 Prefabs
📄 modinfo.xml (289 B)