Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riamus

Riamus

10 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

A bit of a necro, though this thread is not that old, but would it be fair to assume that if I deleted all of the mentioned property names (zoning, townships, editor groups, allowed biomes) from all PoI xmls or just commented them out, it would have no impact on the game? I mean they might not work for the purpose outlined by the OP but perhaps the game still needs them for some reason?

I'm asking because I'm messing around with the rwg and I'm trying to "align" different PoIs for the purpose of streamlining the comparison between different xmls and I've been pretty liberal with these properties. I'm trying to get factory_01 and 02 to spawn more often since the game seems to focus on _03 right now, to the point where there's 30 of them on a large map and only one of either 01 or 02. There's more problems there and some are tied to the DuplicateRepeatDistance property but I'm adjusting that too with some modest improvements. Still, lots of uncertainties about the rwg and PoIs property lists.

As they aren't used, removing them will not hurt anything.  However, if you edit the actual XML files, you will lose all of those edits whenever the game is updated or when you run the verify files option.  So up to you if you want to spend the time. 

As far as POI numbers go, the most common reason for some being seen more than others in towns is that you have fewer tiles that some can be on than others.  This is a combination of the size of the POI and the district(s) where it can be placed.  If the POI and districts are the same, you should see a pretty even distribution (assuming the duplicate and then distance parameters are also the same).  But Iin many cases, the size and districts aren't the same and this often affects how many of a given POI you can find.

Let's say that you have POI A and POI B.  If A can be on only the corner tile in the downtown district and B can be on the corner tile and straight tile of the downtown district (based on POI size), you will most likely see more of B.  By adding a custom straight downtown tile that supports A but not B, you will even those out.  Of course that is a simplified example and many things play a part in distribution but it would help. Keep in mind as well that often a tile supports more than one of a given POI size, so when is the number of tiles each POI can be on is the same, if one can be on 3 places on a time and the other only 1, there is a higher chance if getting the one that can be on 3 spaces.  So as I said, my example is simplified. 😁

You can also adjust the duplicate and theme distances (theme only if they are part of a theme).  For example the skyscrapers are set to only appear once every 10km, so most maps will only get one of each unless you change that.

Riamus

Riamus

9 hours ago, Blasphemous said:

A bit of a necro, though this thread is not that old, but would it be fair to assume that if I deleted all of the mentioned property names (zoning, townships, editor groups, allowed biomes) from all PoI xmls or just commented them out, it would have no impact on the game? I mean they might not work for the purpose outlined by the OP but perhaps the game still needs them for some reason?

I'm asking because I'm messing around with the rwg and I'm trying to "align" different PoIs for the purpose of streamlining the comparison between different xmls and I've been pretty liberal with these properties. I'm trying to get factory_01 and 02 to spawn more often since the game seems to focus on _03 right now, to the point where there's 30 of them on a large map and only one of either 01 or 02. There's more problems there and some are tied to the DuplicateRepeatDistance property but I'm adjusting that too with some modest improvements. Still, lots of uncertainties about the rwg and PoIs property lists.

As they aren't used, removing them will not hurt anything.  However, if you edit the actual XML files, you will lose all of those edits whenever the game is updated or when you run the verify files option.  So up to you if you want to spend the time. 

As far as POI numbers go, the most common reason for some being seen more than others in towns is that you have fewer tiles that some can be on than others.  This is a combination of the size of the POI and the district(s) where it can be placed.  If the POI and districts are the same, you should see a pretty even distribution (assuming the duplicate and then distance parameters are also the same).  But Iin many cases, the size and districts aren't the same and this often affects how many of a given POI you can find.

Let's say that you have POI A and POI B.  If A can be on only the corner tile in the downtown district and B can be on the corner tile and straight tile of the downtown district (based on POI size), you will most likely see more of B.  By adding a custom straight downtown tile that supports A but not B, you will even those out.  Of course that is a simplified example and many things play a part in distribution but it would help. 

You can also adjust the duplicate and theme distances (theme only if they are part of a theme).  For example the skyscrapers are set to only appear once every 10km, so most maps will only get one of each unless you change that.