Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
zztong

zztong

I'm mostly asking as I figure people using this modlet might seek out support as it relates to my POIs. I also see it as some nice experimentation, so I'm curious how it all works out.

11 hours ago, vbnet3d said:

Right now I'm just using Vector3.distance, which is the radius in 3D space. If you feel it would be beneficial to allow the option to make it only horizontal, I could add that as a configurable choice.

It's an interesting design decision.

I wouldn't say I know all of the compelling reasons why TFP doesn't do vertical distances, but as you walk through a skyscraper a vertical distance of 20-30 blocks could involve volumes 3-5 floors above the player, unlikely to be relevant.

On the other hand, if you talk about a POI like a grain elevator or silo, a volume 10-20 blocks below you could be very relevant. I assert those situations are rare, but they do happen and I know players hate dropping into a volume only to have it spawn around them.

The most common frustration with TFP's 0 Vertical distance is that people can't see zombies in an attic until they set foot on the attic's floor. We try to cover for that by having the volumes extend down a block or two into the floor below, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Distance to the volume center

Cool, so the volume-to-sleepers relationship remains intact.

This is interesting. In theory, you can have some really large volumes that are bigger than the distance. Or, forget theory. If you set the distance to 10, there will certainly be volumes that are larger than that distance so you'd have to enter the volume to reach that distance if you're measuring to the center. POIs with an outdoor component are the most likely to do this. I can think of two POIs in my modlet to test against: Stone Quarry and the ground level of the Vault. Among the TFP POIs, I wonder how the Trailer Court plays out. IIRC it has one volume that covers the most of the 42x42 plot and surrounds other volumes.

I could see where it might be better to test a range to the closest edge or corner of the volume to account for really large volumes, but that sounds like many more computations. I could see where distance configuration might be expressed both horizontally and vertically to try avoiding spawning zombies several floors above and below the player, but then even more computations. I'm a novice at this, but would that be calculations to 8 different points (each corner of the volume's cube) for both horizontal and vertical? Where as right now you have one 3D distance to calculate?

It sounds like maybe there's a performance trade-off here. The costs of spawning zombies to stand around or the cost of more math to avoid spawning zombies to stand around.

It flips the volume quickly to active then back to passive to force the spawn

Does that work? I mean, once they spawn does setting it back to passive let them activate or do they just stand there and drool? I'm wondering if the trigger that would have spawned them also gives them their initiative. I probably don't know enough to reasonably speculate possible side effects.

DisableTriggers only turns off triggers for SleeperVolume, but not other classes. Most triggers still function as intended. Some newer POIs cannot be cleared with this set to true currently because the final spawn is a SleeperVolume trigger. I am working a a work-around for this.

I'm glad to hear the other triggers still work. I regret I don't have a suggestion, but will be curious about the work-around.

zztong

zztong

I'm mostly asking as I figure people using this modlet might seek out support as it relates to my POIs. I also see it as some nice experimentation, so I'm curious how it all works out.

10 hours ago, vbnet3d said:

Right now I'm just using Vector3.distance, which is the radius in 3D space. If you feel it would be beneficial to allow the option to make it only horizontal, I could add that as a configurable choice.

It's an interesting design decision.

I wouldn't say I know all of the compelling reasons why TFP doesn't do vertical distances, but as you walk through a skyscraper a vertical distance of 20-30 blocks could involve volumes 3-5 floors above the player, unlikely to be relevant.

On the other hand, if you talk about a POI like a grain elevator or silo, a volume 10-20 blocks below you could be very relevant. I assert those situations are rare, but they do happen and I know players hate dropping into a volume only to have it spawn around them.

The most common frustration with TFP's 0 Vertical distance is that people can't see zombies in an attic until they set foot on the attic's floor. We try to cover for that by having the volumes extend down a block or two into the floor below, but sometimes that isn't possible.

Distance to the volume center

Cool, so the volume-to-sleepers relationship remains intact.

This is interesting. In theory, you can have some really large volumes that are bigger than the distance. POIs with an outdoor component are the most likely to do this. I can think of two POIs in my modlet to test against: Stone Quarry and the ground level of the Vault. Among the TFP POIs, I wonder how the Trailer Court plays out. IIRC it has one volume that covers the most of the 42x42 plot and surrounds other volumes.

I could see where it might be better to test a range to the closest edge or corner of the volume to account for really large volumes, but that sounds like many more computations. I could see where distance configuration might be expressed both horizontally and vertically to try avoiding spawning zombies several floors above and below the player, but then even more computations. I'm a novice at this, but would that be calculations to 8 different points (each corner of the volume's cube) for both horizontal and vertical? Where as right now you have one 3D distance to calculate?

It sounds like maybe there's a performance trade-off here. The costs of spawning zombies to stand around or the cost of more math to avoid spawning zombies to stand around.

It flips the volume quickly to active then back to passive to force the spawn

Does that work? I mean, once they spawn does setting it back to passive let them activate or do they just stand there and drool? I'm wondering if the trigger that would have spawned them also gives them their initiative. I probably don't know enough to reasonably speculate possible side effects.

DisableTriggers only turns off triggers for SleeperVolume, but not other classes. Most triggers still function as intended. Some newer POIs cannot be cleared with this set to true currently because the final spawn is a SleeperVolume trigger. I am working a a work-around for this.

I'm glad to hear the other triggers still work. I regret I don't have a suggestion, but will be curious about the work-around.