Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meganoth

meganoth

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Magazines never drop out of the loot tables.  When you find all of the magazines in a series, the bonus boost from Perks is reset to 0. 

Each magazine has an equal chance of being found in a container that has them unless you perk into one of the perks.  At that point, it adds a boost (usually from 20% to 100%) as you level up on the perks.

So if you perk once into living off the land, you have a 20% boost of finding seeds magazines.  So using a Shamway crate as an example, you have two magazines in there - seeds and cooking.  With no perks, you have an equal chance of getting either one of them.  If you perk into LoTL at the first level, you have a 1.2/2.2 chance of picking the seeds one while only a 1/2.2 chance of picking the cooking one.

Also, I don't think you are getting hit as hard as some people think if you spread your perks around.  A lot of the loot groups are setup to be specialized with magazines (so ranged weapons, melee weapons, etc.).   

For example:

• 1 Perk in shotguns, cooking, armor, adv engineering, miner69er
  • 3 Perks into knives, handguns, and bows

• So shotguns, cooking, armor, electrician, traps, workstations, harvest tools, and repair tools are 1.2
  • Knives, handguns, and bows are 1.6

In a shotgun messiah crate, you would have (assuming one of the choices ends up being the crafting magazine):

• 27.6% chance of finding a handgun magazine
  • 20.7% chance of finding a shotgun magazine
  • 17.2% chance of finding the other 3 magazines (rifles, machine guns, explosives)

In a container that draws all magazines from, you have the following (assuming one of the choices ends up being the crafting magazine):

• Level 3 perks:  6.1%
  • Level 1 perks:  4.5%
  • No Perks:  3.8%

So putting points into the perks moves the chances a little better for that crafting magazine, but you are not getting penalized greatly doing so.

If the only reason a person is putting points into those perks is to get magazines faster, than true.

However, there are other benefits from those perks to spend points into:

• LoTL - reduction in crafting costs for farm plots and increase harvest yields
  • Physician - instant cures of sprains, faster crafting in chemistry stations

The magazine find is a bonus part of the perks, but should never be considered as the primary reason to perk into them.  If that is the only reason you perk into those categories, then it will always seem to be a waste of a perk point.

Then explain something that confuses me: Everywhere else in xml percentages (for perc_add for example) are written in mathematical notations, i.e. as ".2" (meaning 20%). Example:

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" level="1" value=".1">

meaning 10% I would assume.

But with the magazines I see 

<passive_effect name="LootProb" operation="perc_add" level="1,5" value="2,10" tags="spearSkill"/>

So shouldn't this mean 200% increase per perk level?

Even if it used percent notation then it would only be 2% per step, which obviously doesn't fit reality. I just don't see 20% in those numbers at all

meganoth

meganoth

Magazines never drop out of the loot tables.  When you find all of the magazines in a series, the bonus boost from Perks is reset to 0. 

Each magazine has an equal chance of being found in a container that has them unless you perk into one of the perks.  At that point, it adds a boost (usually from 20% to 100%) as you level up on the perks.

So if you perk once into living off the land, you have a 20% boost of finding seeds magazines.  So using a Shamway crate as an example, you have two magazines in there - seeds and cooking.  With no perks, you have an equal chance of getting either one of them.  If you perk into LoTL at the first level, you have a 1.2/2.2 chance of picking the seeds one while only a 1/2.2 chance of picking the cooking one.

Also, I don't think you are getting hit as hard as some people think if you spread your perks around.  A lot of the loot groups are setup to be specialized with magazines (so ranged weapons, melee weapons, etc.).   

For example:

• So shotguns, cooking, armor, electrician, traps, workstations, harvest tools, and repair tools are 1.2

In a shotgun messiah crate, you would have (assuming one of the choices ends up being the crafting magazine):

• 17.2% chance of finding the other 3 magazines (rifles, machine guns, explosives)

In a container that draws all magazines from, you have the following (assuming one of the choices ends up being the crafting magazine):

So putting points into the perks moves the chances a little better for that crafting magazine, but you are not getting penalized greatly doing so.

If the only reason a person is putting points into those perks is to get magazines faster, than true.

The magazine find is a bonus part of the perks, but should never be considered as the primary reason to perk into them.  If that is the only reason you perk into those categories, then it will always seem to be a waste of a perk point.

Then explain something that confuses me: Everywhere else in xml percentages (for perc_add for example) are written in mathematical notations, i.e. as ".2" (meaning 20%). Example:

meaning 10% I would assume.

<passive_effect name="LootProb" operation="perc_add" level="1,5" value="2,10" tags="spearSkill"/>

Even if it meant percent notation then it looks only like 2%, which obviously would not make such a difference as we see

meganoth

meganoth

For example:

Even if it meant percent notation then it looks only like 2%, which obviously would not make such a difference as we see

meganoth

meganoth

For example: