Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
pApA^LeGBa

pApA^LeGBa

On 7/27/2023 at 3:54 PM, FA_Q2 said:

I see no difference between a MOD being sold and an after market scoop for my car.  They are both third party additions to a product. 

What am I missing?

Industry is the keyword here. You miss the fact that your after market scoop for your car  is a prodcut made by a company with a lot of employees, wich needs a factory, an infrastructure to be able to sell it and is not made by a single guy in his garage or workshop at home.

Most mod authors don´t have a lot of time to work on their mods and if they start charging money for it, you need a lot more time to justify charging money for it, wich means they would need to charge enough to be able to make a living from it or at least enough to be able to hire someone part time.

When fans become customers, everything changes. And if i look at some overhaul mods, i am not sure if the modders actually want to change from having patreons that pay them monthly to having customers that pay them once.

pApA^LeGBa

pApA^LeGBa

I see no difference between a MOD being sold and an after market scoop for my car.  They are both third party additions to a product. 

What am I missing?

Industry is the keyword here. You miss the fact that your after market scoop for your car  is a prodcut made by a company and not by a single guy in his garage or workshop at home.

Most mod authors don´t have a lot of time to work on their mods and if they start charging money for it, you need a lot more time to justify charging money for it, wich means they would need to charge enough to be able to make a living from it or at least enough to be able to hire someone part time.

When fans become customers, everything changes. And if i look at some overhaul mods, i am not sure if the modders actually want to change from having patreons that pay them monthly to having customers that pay them once.

pApA^LeGBa

pApA^LeGBa

What am I missing?

Industry is the keyword here. You miss the fact that your after market scoop for your car  is a prodcut made by a company and not by a single guy in his garage or workshop at home.

When fans become customers, everything changes. And if i look at some overhaul mods, i am not sure if the modders actually want to change from having patreons that pay them monthly to having customer that pay them once.

pApA^LeGBa

pApA^LeGBa

What am I missing?

Most mod authors haven´t a lot of time to work on their mods and if they start charging money for it, you need a lot more time to justify charging money for it, wich means they would need to charge enough to be able to make a living from it.

When fans become customers, everything changes. And if i look at some overhaul mods, i am not sure if the modders actually want to change from having patreons that pay them monthly to having customer that pay them once.