Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
BFT2020

BFT2020

5 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

What I'm wondering is if that means if certain youtubers or streamers who are big in the community have things like a private server but for patreons only would that be included since it's still monetization of this game through another platform like patreon? Technically it wouldn't be much different than the whole mischief maker mod thing. 

Would like to see the TFP give a more detailed explanation on this but I guess that would be kinda stuff lawyers handle.

I'm on the fence since I'm a huge mod supporter and feel they don't get the respect they should from the team for helping keep this game alive, mind you this is across the board with alot of heavily modded games like anything from Bethesda, stardew valley also has a decent mod community and same goes for alot of other games like rimworld and terraria.  What's worse is when the base game starts to implement alot of the modders ideas and not even bother giving them any credit. 

Streamers and youtubers who stream the game to Patrons only would not run afoul of the EULA agreement.  The EULA states that you cannot mod the game and use that mod to generate income from.  It is technically more different that the Mischief Maker modification as streamers as just getting paid for playing of the game, tutorials, and commentary.  They earn money either through subscriptions or ad revenue shared by the streamer platform.

MM's mod took a 20% cut from everyone that was using it.  That is why the mod was illegal.  There are several examples of mod makers out there that are not doing anything illegal, Khaine is a good example.  His mod, Darkness Falls, doesn't run afoul of the EULA as long as he freely distributes it to everyone, and doesn't use copyright material in it.  Because both his Patron subscribers and the general public at large are able to download and play his mod, it is does not go against the EULA.

As for the streamer that got the strike when MM went down, they had a monetary agreement with MM to promote the MM mod.  So they were actively promoting the mod that broke the EULA from TFP.  Other streamers / content creators that were using the mod, but not officially promoting it, were notified that the mod was illegal.

BFT2020

BFT2020

4 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

What I'm wondering is if that means if certain youtubers or streamers who are big in the community have things like a private server but for patreons only would that be included since it's still monetization of this game through another platform like patreon? Technically it wouldn't be much different than the whole mischief maker mod thing. 

Would like to see the TFP give a more detailed explanation on this but I guess that would be kinda stuff lawyers handle.

I'm on the fence since I'm a huge mod supporter and feel they don't get the respect they should from the team for helping keep this game alive, mind you this is across the board with alot of heavily modded games like anything from Bethesda, stardew valley also has a decent mod community and same goes for alot of other games like rimworld and terraria.  What's worse is when the base game starts to implement alot of the modders ideas and not even bother giving them any credit. 

Streamers and youtubers who stream the game to Patrons only would not run afoul of the EULA agreement.  The EULA states that you cannot mod the game and use that mod to generate income from.  It is technically more different that the Mischief Maker modification as streamers as just getting paid for playing of the game, tutorials, and commentary.  They earn money either through subscriptions or ad revenue shared by the streamer platform.

MM's mod took a 20% cut from everyone that was using it.  That is why the mod was illegal.  There are several examples of mod makers out there that are not doing anything illegal, Khaine is a good example.  His mod, Darkness Falls, doesn't run afoul of the EULA as long as he freely distributes it to everyone, and doesn't use copyright material in it.  He has stopped offering it early to Patron subscribers in case that runs afoul of the EULA, but because both his Patron subscribers and the general public at large are able to download and play his mod, it is does not go against the EULA.

As for the streamer that got the strike when MM went down, they had a monetary agreement with MM to promote the MM mod.  So they were actively promoting the mod that broke the EULA from TFP.  Other streamers / content creators that were using the mod, but not officially promoting it, were notified that the mod was illegal.